All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

What is happening to my teeth?

Just recently went back to a new one because I found a hole in my tooth. They filled it, told me that I had gingivitis. Went back the next day smoothed my tooth a little they said my gums got irritated and that the pain would go away, call if worse But by the weekend it was in the teeth themselves, they would have a sharp pain going through the tooth, through the gums then up to a muscle under my eye. Okay so now it's Monday and I still have pain all over my mouth.
Poster
  • Female | 18 years old
  • Complaint duration: 5 days
  • Ethnicity: Caucasian / White
  • Weight: 115lbs
  • Medications: Concerta
  • Conditions: ADHD

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer
You could have multiple issues going on and creating the "perfect storm". Do you floss regularly? How often do you brush? Also what is your favorite drink to consume? If you had a hole in your tooth (depending on the size) it could be close enough to the pulp that tooth is dying or has already died. Statistically if bacteria is within two millimeters of the pulp, the bacteria has entered the pulp. So this could be one of the factors causing pain. If the filling is too high you could be actually be hitting very hard on the tooth and increase inflammation, causing pain. Inflammation of the gum, could be from where the gum tissue grew into the hole in your tooth prior to the filling. Now that tissue is trying to grow where the filling is now placed. It is also possible there could be an infection. Without an xray or a picture of the area it is hard diagnosis. You should schedule a appointment with your oral health care provider and maybe ask to get another x-ray. Sensitivity can last up to 2 weeks with a new filling. But you should not be in a lot of pain over all.
Sounds like you have a premature contact in the tooth was just filled. Return to the dentist and when they have you bite down (checking for high spots) slide your teeth together left and right and forward and try some chewing motions. Those movements will let the dentist locate the high spot much better than just biting down alone.

Peter Merai DDS, FAGD
Sorry to hear you are still having discomfort.

You may have a tooth needing extensive care.

Maybe endodontic the rapy is indicated . Go back to your dentist that did treatment may btegrf vdbnyionitic

Beasts best to screens noon
Daniel G. Sena
It is very possible that the decay in your tooth was deep enough that the nerve is infected. Dental pain from a tooth can be referred to other areas of your mouth and face. I would contact the dentist to have it examined again. Maybe consider an xray in that area. There are tests that can be performed to help determine whether the nerve is infected.
Timothy Agapas
You need an exam to see if this is related to an abscess (infection) or a number of other conditions. Including gums that might be sore if you changed your oral hygiene habits. Pain all over your mouth can be related to things like oral thrush, allergic reactions, medical conditions, pain is really a word that different people use in different ways. You need a complete new patient exam, complete medical history, complete radiographs, clinical exam and focussed exam on your particular complaint.
It's not often when patients have a hole in their tooth that they get lucky and only require it to be filled. "Holes" usually result because of a prolonged untreated cavity.

When patients get fillings done they're usually numb. The numbness can make it difficult for patient's to get a sense of how their bite is after the dentists adjust the fillings. If the fillings haven't been fully adjusted you can feel soreness in both the teeth and gums. In such cases a simple adjustment is the remedy, but the longer you take to fix it the worse it can get.

In your case I'd worry that a more serious problem is happening. Your cavity may have had nerve involvement- even if it didn't directly contact the nerve. Cavities that end very close to the nerve can cause inflammation. If that's the case to preserve your tooth you would need root canal treatment (and if you didn't want root canal treatment the only other option would be to extract the tooth). The pain your feeling is because it radiates from the inside of the tooth to the outside which would be why you'd feel pain in the gums too.
Spencer Schwartz
You have multiples issues occurring that can be leading to your pain.

1) The filling on the tooth needs to be adjusted but if the cavity was deep you may need a root canal

2) You have gum disease and need effective gum treatment to resolve it

3) If your whole mouth is hurting, there could be ulcers in your mouth that needs to be identified by a dentist.

Hope this helps. Godlike
1- Go back to the dentist that did the filling and adjust the bite

2- Go and pay to get your teeth cleaned

3- If you have herpetic lesions or ulcers caused by trauma (ie.touching & working on area) , that's a medical issue and should go away within two weeks

4- If you had an allergic reaction (pain all over ?) to whatever materials was put in & and around your mouth, then go see your medical doctor

Regards

Dr Rose Magno www.EmeryvilleDentalCare.com
Dr. Rose Magno
It is time to go back to be seen by the dentist because by your description the tooth that was filled will need further treatment. Anti inflammatory medication such as Ibuprofen may help with your symptoms. If infection is present Antibiotics will be necessary. Gingivitis is inflammation of the gums, the first stage of periodontal disease and tooth pain is not usually associated with it.
Sounds like a lot going on and there could be multiple reasons for the issues you have brought up. I would recommend if you feel comfortable with going back to your doctor to see if they can resolve issue or get a second opinion from another dental health professional to see if they can get to the bottom of your issues.
Matthew Hyde