All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

upper left quadrant pulsating pain

I had acute bronchitis an have been treated with meds. However I now have this pulsing upper left abdominal quadrant pain that is persistent an is always in the same spot?? There is no relief from it... could it be a muscle spasm from coughing,? It's been 5 days now
Poster
  • Female | 47 years old
  • Complaint duration: 5 days
  • Medications: Levaquin prednisone synthroid Lasix kdur
  • Conditions: No

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer
Irritation/inflammation of the diaphragm

Costochondritis

Pleuritis

Dislocated/Fractured Rib from coughing

Myofascial pain

Muscle spasm
1 UpVoted this answer
A pulsating left upper quadrant pain could be your spleen. I would have this checked out ASAP as a raptured spleen is a medical emergency. would seek medical attention immediately to rule out a issue with your spleen.
I have had a few patients that actually sustained rib fractures from intense coughing. The diagnosis was made with xray test of the ribs. If the xray is negative it could certainly be the muscles that are sore between the ribs. Muskuloskeletal pain can usually be reproduced with palpation or movements. A respiratory infection can also lead to inflammation of the lining of the lungs, pleuritis. Both of these condition usually resolve with time.
Visit your primary care doctor to rule out other complications
It could be muscle pull. The best thing is to see you primary care doctor for exam as soon as you can to avoid any complications.
It's very possible it is muscle spasms from the coughing; however, I would not let it go on much longer without getting it checked out. You just never know and why take a chance. You may also have pulled a rib out of place with the coughing. I would still get it checked out.
The best action to take for you is get urgent evaluation. I would visit your nearest urgent care or immediate care facility.

Possibilities include something as simple as muscle spasm and rib pain from coughing to something serious as injury to your internal organs.
Eric A. Nash