All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Micro Neuro - Wisdom teeth extraction

So i have emergency extractions my dentist tells me i need a micro neuro surgeon / oral surgeon for my #17 & #32 , that the nerve is too close they need to cut it and re attatch it apparently to remove these teeth and i cannot find such a dentist who does this procedure, does my dentist know what he's talking about?
Poster
  • Male | 24 years old
  • Complaint duration: 90 days
  • Medications: amoxicillin , hydrocodone
  • Conditions: high blood pressure

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

3 UpVoted this answer Lisa M. Murray, DDS Dentist, Fridley Robert G. Csillag, DMD Dentist, Newton Centre
I have been in dentistry for 4 decades, and I hold significant academic appointments. I have never head of micro neuro/ oral surgeon. If you truly got this advice, I suggest you find another dentist. A well qualified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon can remove these teeth and probably do it as a routine surgical procedure. That is what they are trained to do. If the nerve trunk is in the way (and I do not think it is) the oral surgeon will be able to identify the problem and resolve it.
1 UpVoted this answer
Your Dentist should first recommend you simply talk with an oral surgeon that has a CONE BEAM machine. a cone beam will give your team of doctors the three dimensional radiographic info they need to truly assess your risk of nerve involvement. From this "3d xray" or CBCT scan, your docs will easily see if nerve issues are a risk. if they are not, move forward with your oral surgeon and get this treatment well behind you. Shouldn't be too much of an issue with the right diagnostic information.
1 UpVoted this answer
I would seek another opinion or two from well respected board certified Oral and Maxillofacial surgeons. I know of some who can locate and re-position the mandibular nerve but never have I heard of intentionally cutting and then attempting to reattach the nerve ends just to remove an impacted tooth. From what I could see on the supplied radiographic image... get another opinion...and perhaps a 3D CBCT scan.
1 UpVoted this answer
I'd check with a regular Oral Surgeon.

They do extractions like this all the time.

If he thinks it is too close to the nerve he may chose not to do the extraction
Steven H. Poulos
1 UpVoted this answer Larry E. Gilman, DDS Dentist, Reno
Whoever the dentist is that gave you this advice, needs to have his/her head examined. I would run as fast I could away from this person. The panoramic x-ray does not accurately tell you how close the teeth are to the nerve. You would need a cone beam ct scan taken to give you this information. Even if the roots of the teeth were wrapped around the nerve, there is a procedure called a coronectomy that can be performed to avoid damage to the nerve. Google coronectomy to find out about this procedure.
Michael Nishime
1 UpVoted this answer Jennifer McAroy, DDS Dentist, Prairie Village
Bottom line is your dentist does not want to do the procedure himself. The procedure should be simple enough for an oral surgeon and a 3D cone beam x-ray will guide the surgeon away from the nerves. The nerve should not be cut and reattached if you are in the right hands.
Daniel B. Strader
I would recommend a referral to an oral surgeon. Often when lower wisdom teeth are too close to the nerve it is better to leave them alone rather than extract them. I am not aware of any surgeons who would cut and re attach the nerve. I believe the success rate for re attaching the nerve is not good, hence we try not to injure the nerve when preforming dental procedures. I assume by the medications you are taking that you are having some pain or discomfort from these teeth. Go to an oral surgeon, he can do a 3 dimensional scan of the area to find out where the nerve is in relation to the tooth. That type of scan is more accurate than the panoramic x-ray which was included with your question. A qualified oral surgeon should be able to handle your problem. There is a good chance an oral surgeon can solve your problem without damaging the nerve. I would only do the re attachment procedure if the nerve is irreversible damaged.
Michael Stein
I would recommend CBCT to make the final diagnosis. A coronectomy (removal of the crown portion of the wisdom teeth) can be done to minimize the nerve injury.
Rick Borquez
Leave the teeth as is if they are not causing any problem.

or else see a reputable oral surgeon in your area, cutting nerves & re attaching sounds unnecessary
Kaushal Kapadia
You need to see a qualified oral surgeon not a general dentist for extraction of lower wisdom teeth that are close to the nerve trunk. Oral surgeons are well versed and have the proper tools and training to remove wisdom teeth in close proximity to the nerve. Also there is no such thing as a micro neuro oral surgeon.
James A. Vito