All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

What can I do for scoliosis that is not surgery?

What can I do for scoliosis that is not surgery? I have a 15 degree sharp curve in my upper back but am done growing. should i be strengthening? I believe it is putting stress on my neck and shoulders.
Poster
  • Male | 33 years old
  • Complaint duration: 90 days
  • Medications: Flonase
  • Conditions: none

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

2 UpVoted this answer
First off, have you been to a chiropractor who specializes in curve correction? If not, that is my first recommendation. There are exercises, however to do them on a faulty structure is not recommended.
Jeff Snyder
1 UpVoted this answer
Alot.....exercise, nutrition, Tai Chi, inversion traction at 30 degrees2x a month, seeing a chiropractor for restricted intersegmental spinal movement. Improving pelvic movement thru chiropractic, Feldenkrais spinal chain movements, massage for shortened muscles, Alexander Technique for posture. Just don't lay down,
Stephen G. Toth
1 UpVoted this answer
A 15 degree curve is not insurmountable, but also cannot be ignored. The fact that you are 32 years old means that the curve should not progress any further however as you age it will predispose you to premature degeneration. It is vitally important that you maintain as much vertebral joint integrity as you can in that region to help prevent that. There are some chiropractic treatment methods that have been very successful in reducing scoliotic curvatures of the spine even in those who are skeletally mature. I recommend that you seek out a chiropractor that practices either Petibon or Chiropractic Biophysics. These techniques will incorporate strengthening in with the care. You would be better off strengthening a more sound spinal structure than one that is not sound. Good luck.
Mark A. Snow
1 UpVoted this answer
Thank you for your question. Strengthening is often a valuable part of a complete program for correcting scoliosis. The exercises should be specific to you personally and performed in combination with spinal adjustments, mirror image adjustments, and corrective traction. Chiropractors are very skilled in designing a program that is complete. Here is a good website for you to check out: http://www.idealspine.com/cbp-patient/
1 UpVoted this answer
Find a local chiropractor in your area that specializes with scoliosis... Someone who specializes in CBP...
You are right, the curve in your back, scoliosis is putting stress on your neck and shoulders and surgery is not a good option. There are some counter straining exercises but you should get check by a chiropractor that has experience with treating scoliosis. While physical therapy and acupuncture may give you some relief, a doctor of Chiropractic is the best qualified health care professionals to reduce mechanical tension on the spine without surgery.
Many causes for such a problem. please seek a chiropractor's care or go to your doctor for an evaluation.

look into nutritional supplements from a qualified practitioner who uses all natural organic whole food products.
Thomas Kollars
Having scoliosis in your upper back can lead to pain and muscle spasms due to the spine being out of alignment by default of the scoliosis as well as the muscles being out of balance on the right and left sides of the spine. Getting into a good custom exercise and strengthening program with a physical therapist or chiropractic office is optimal. It will help strengthen the weak muscles and train the over active muscles to be in balance. Having scoliosis in the upper back tends to cause the ribs in that area to get mis aligned also creating additional pain. Chiropractic adjustments will help as well as keep muscle spasms under control. Anytime one part of the spine is misaligned it will put stress on the other parts of the spine. So you are correct about added stress on your neck and shoulders. Those areas are trying to keep your head in balance in a straight line and has to work harder with the curve in your upper back.
I would recommend seeing a reputable orthopedic physical therapist in your area. She or he should be able to recommend valuable strengthening and stretching exercises, in addition to providing you with some need manual therapy to alleviate your symptoms.
Find a Doctor of Chiropractic near you that has x-ray services in their office. The scoliosis is a compensatory in nature and typically due to some sort of pelvic or spinal imbalance. Full spine x-rays are important to determine cause of the curve.
Kyle McKamey