All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Black tartar or decay?

Hi. I have black line on one of my back tooth.... it has been there for around 6 months. It does not hurt or anything however I tried to remove the black thing on it to no avail even though it looks like it can be scraped off. I have not been to a dentist for 8 years and I'm really scared. Is it just tartar or tooth decay? :(
Poster
  • Female | 18 years old
  • Complaint duration: 12 days

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

5 UpVoted this answer
There is nothing to fear at the dentist office. Even at 18 years old nothing can happen to you without your consent. A dentist can not initiate any invasive procedures without your permission. Ask your friends and family for a recommendation. Find a kind, competent dentist and start a relationship. You'll be fine. As for whats on your teeth I would let the dentist determine that and the way forward.
5 UpVoted this answer Dr. Ada Gruita, DDS Dentist, Mission Viejo
You are asking for a commentator to 'guess' what might be wrong, and that is unwise. The patient that hasn't seen a dentist for 8 years (since age 10!) and tries to diagnose and treat herself has already begun a life of poor oral health. Fear is a powerful reason for neglect, and something you must overcome with an understanding provider.
John R. Scuba
5 UpVoted this answer
You don't have to worry. If there is no pain in the area, that's great news! It's probably just some stain in the groove of your tooth, from old bacteria or plaque that settled there and collected stain from your food over time. I would go see a dentist though. If anything, they'll clean and smooth off the stain and your tooth will be white again! Ask your friends or neighbors about a nice dentist in your area. Believe me, you'll be so glad you took care of this, finally. Good luck!
Kathryn A. Van de Kamp
5 UpVoted this answer
It sounds like it could possibly be tartar or stain. The fact that it does not hurt is a good thing. An examination by a dentist is a good thing. Do not worry. Exams are informational so you can get all of your questions answered, and they are generally not painful. So go see a dentist and find out what the problem is for sure! :)
3 UpVoted this answer
I won't worry about that. Sounds like a stain. Just check with a dentist to make sure though. You can always stop by my office for a complimentary exam and x ray if you are nearby. Take care.
2 UpVoted this answer
You were a young kid the last time you saw a dentist and some experiences can stay with you. Unfortunately the only way to tell if the dark area is tarter or decay is to see a dentist. Remember to tell the dentist and the staff that you are afraid and they will have patience with you. There are options available such as sedation or all natural NuCalm that can help you relax and make any dental treatment much easier. Don't wait any longer. get checked by a dentist.
1 UpVoted this answer
You must see a dentist. Black line, is usually stain going into micro- cracks in the teeth, but it could be caries also, if it sticks.

Since you have not seen a dentist for many years, it would be a great idea for check up, to make sure your gums are also fine and no cavities exist. The longer you wait, the more worries, and possibly discomfort later on which could have been avoided.
1 UpVoted this answer
If you have not been to the dentist in 8 years I think that is the best place to start. You should be able to find a dozen dentists in your area that offer a complimentary exam and x-rays, or at least have them for very inexpensive.
Andrew Bitter
1 UpVoted this answer
Considering that the black line is localized to one tooth it is more likely to be decay than stain. I would make an appointment with a dentist for a check-up. No need to be afraid, you can find an understanding, gentle dentist in your area.
1 UpVoted this answer
Sorry you are so afraid. Unfortunately to answer your question you need to see a dentist. It could be simply stained "tartar' or it could be decay. See an honest dentist and they will tell you the truth.
Don Ducasse