All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Is it possible my girlfriend has herpes?

My girlfriend shared a drink with someone that was having a herpes breakout.. She drank from the cup after he had drank from a straw. Is it possible she contracted it?
Poster
  • Male | 23 years old
  • Medications: None
  • Conditions: No

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

2 UpVoted this answer Rick Liftig, DMD, F.A.G.D. Dentist, West Hartford
According to the CDC, oral HPV is NOT transmitted by sharing drinks or simple kissing on the lips. It is unknown if penetrating type kissing is capable of transferring an infection. HPV is NOT transferred by inanimate objects example people be sharing a spoon or on surfaces such as cups. Here are two websites that might be helpful in the search for a true definitive answer.

http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpvandoropharyngealcancer.htm

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/hpv/common-hpv-questions.php#sthash.JvOt3MGy.dpuf

In general, most studies state when an outbreak does occur to avoid contact with that person such as kissing or oral sex. These are the two most common modes of transmission. To be safe long term, you should avoid contact with any type of salvia transmission.
1 UpVoted this answer Yuliya Rabinovich, DDS Dentist, New York
First I want to differentiate that Herpes is different from HPV that Dr. Marra responded with. Hopefully he just didn't read your question well. But the CDC is an excellent resource. Most of us in the US were infected with Herpes type I virus-oral type in our childhood. I believe stats are upwards of 95% plus of US population. As adults some people have outbreaks of oral Herpes as "canker" sores or "cold" sores on the lips. Certainly during outbreak periods there is a lot of live virus on those lesions. I doubt she contracted it as you describe, But probably nothing is impossible. Say and you are likely already infected with Herpes I virus. I am making more assumptions than I like and you might want to be a little more concerned if it was a Herpes II (genital) outbreak. See your or her physician and most OB-GYN doctors are very good with STD's. Or see an STD clinic. They are another great resource also. I hope this helps. You need to ask the person with the outbreak some more questions to really answer this question.
Not likely for the Herpes Virus to be transmitted this way. Using the straw of someone during an outbreak right after them yes. The virus is very contagious during and outbreak as each sore's center is teaming with viral particles looking for new skin or mucosa to contact and infect. HPV not so much. You need more specific situations already described to contract it.
If she drank from the cup after he used the straw it's not likely she would contract herpes that way. In this case she just have to wait it out and see if anything happens but I seriously doubt there was any transmission.
It is unlikely that herpes could be spread this way.

Active lesions can be contagious but a straw was probably not a good route for transmission.

Kissing or

Sexual contact or spread into broken skin or even placental transmission is more common.
Daniel G. Sena
Yes, it is possible but in my opinion not likely. However, I do recommend she take a blood test to confirm a positive or negative result for Oral Herpes.
Herpes Is only transferred by direct contact of saliva, blood, and sex !

If your girlfriend used the straw to drink, do not be concerned.
There are two types of Herpes Simplex Virus HSV-1 which is related to oral herpes and HSV-2 which is related to genital Herpes. Both types do not survive long on any surface and usually are spread thru intimate contact. To be spread by contact there must be lesions with active virus. The symptoms vary with small fluid filled blisters that break and form painful sores that crust and heal over after several days. Unfortunately people with either type of herpes may remain symptom free. The best test is blood test to determine if you or her have herpes.
Is it possible? yes, likely? no. If the person with Herpes outbreak (note, NOT HPV) drank exclusively from a straw, without touching the rim of the cup and your girlfriend only drank from the cup, not touching the straw, it's unlikely that she got infected. Although highly contagious, Herpes Virus usually requires a direct contact for infection. Plus as was mentioned, chances are the virus is already in her and your bodies anyway. That said, not a bad idea to be vigilant and stay away from kissing for the time being, just to see if any symptoms develop.
Yuliya Rabinovich
Possible, yes. How likely depends on the stage of infection the carrier was in and where the lesions were located in relation to the points of contact of the straw.