All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Had 2 root canals yesterday, flu like symptoms today?

Is this normal? My stomach hurts really bad, im burning up, vomiting, diarrhea, cant even hold down water. Im very uncomfortable! What should I do? Any way to get comfortable until I can go to er tomorrow?
Poster
  • Complaint duration: 1 day
  • Medications: Ibuprofen

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

4 UpVoted this answer Pamela MacPherson, DDS Prosthodontist, San Diego Dr. Ada Gruita, DDS Dentist, Mission Viejo
This is not normal after root canal treatment. I'm assuming that you were given some medications after the procedure, so I would contact your Endodontist ASAP to discuss your symptoms.
2 UpVoted this answer
This is NEVER a sequelae of root canals. So "going to the ER to have them call your ENDODONTIST"--a DENTIST--to cure more incapacitating MEDICAL symptoms makes zero sense. You have some infectious condition likely UNrelated to any to do with "root canals". Symptoms are consistent with the flu or some other acute viral condition. IF you feel the need to go to the ER, by all means do so. But it is unlikely that there will be much more than "supportive" care offered, as there is no treatment for flu, unfortunately. One final thing--sometimes people have appendicitis which MAY choose to rear its ugly head even a day after a "root canal". Take care.
John R. Scuba
2 UpVoted this answer Pamela MacPherson, DDS Prosthodontist, San Diego
Not normal. Your Endodontist should be available via an emergency phone number. Contact them immediately and go to the emergency room.
Edita Outericka
1 UpVoted this answer
Root canal procedures do not cause those symptoms. The upset stomach could be a result of taking ibuprofen without food though. Are you taking an antibiotic? You may be experiencing side effects from medications including the ibuprofen.

I think you should check with the dentist asap but a quick check with your medical doctor is probably a good idea as well.

Peter Merai DDS, FAGD.
1 UpVoted this answer
I agree with Barbara. The constitutional symptoms you are describing are serious but unrelated to the actual dental procedure. Get to your MD right away and review your medications with him/her.
Andrew Sauchelli
1 UpVoted this answer David Westerberg, DDS Dentist, Redlands
These are symptoms consistent with an intolerance reaction to one or more of the medications that you are administering. This is unlikely to be an allergic reaction. Sometimes, the combination of medications, such as anti-inflammatory (NSAID), narcotic analgesic and antibiotic, may trigger your condition. Unless in you are in severe pain, the narcotic analgesic should be discontinued. The antibiotic is very important at this time. You should run the entire scenario by your treating endodontist. If he/she is not available, a visit to the ER will take care of the problem.
Luciano Stroia
This is definitely not a normal reaction. It is possible that you have a viral (flu-like) infection. It may also be a reaction to medications if you were given any. I would contact the dentist as soon as possible. Otherwise I would go to the ER.
Timothy Agapas
Tevora Tevora
It is not associated with the root canal . You make be getting sick from bacteria or viral in nature
Flu like symptoms, such as fever is sign of infection, root canals is also due to infected nerve, it is best to consult with your dentist to make sure the dentist has placed you on the medications necessary, or does he need to get back in the teeth, for more treatment. And maybe your symptoms have nothing to do with your root canal.

Best of luck to you.