All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Breast Development

I'm 17 and I'm wondering if my breasts will ever even out. I know it's common for women to have slightly different sized breasts. Mine are noticeably different. The bigger 1 sags more and is less perky. It also has an areola much bigger than other breast, maybe twice the size. The smaller 1 is more perky. I'm not overweight or anything. The size is not like a whole cup difference, but it's still significant. Can my breasts even out & come close to the same size & will my areola get any bigger?
Poster
  • Female | 18 years old

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer
Breast asymmetry is common, though significant breast asymmetry can be difficult to conceal and can have a significant impact on self confidence, especially in the adolescent patient. Correction of breast asymmetry usually requires cosmetic plastic surgery of the breast with a breast lift (mastopexy) to even the height and shape of the areola and nipple, as well as a small breast reduction with or without a breast implant depending on breast size. This is an out-patient cosmetic plastic surgery procedure that can be done in one or two surgical stages. This can be corrected with plastic surgery of the breast and can deliver a reliable and predictable result that evens the shape and size of the breasts.
Breast asymmetry is common; you are describing a "tuberous" breast which can be corrected and maybe covered under your parents' insurance. Your areola will continue to get larger and your symmetry probably worse as you get older
Arian Mowlavi
It is not unusual for a woman's breasts to be asymmetric. When there is a significant degree of asymmetry, there are things that can be done to help balance things out. An example would be to reduce the larger side, if it is larger than desired, or even to enlarge the smaller side, depending on what the actual situation is. It is necessary for you to have a consultation with a Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to best determine what the proper management would be.

Best wishes.
John J. Obi
Most women do have at least mild breast asymmetry. But, what you are describing is called "tuberous breast deformity", which is a developmental issue that unfortunately does not correct itself. It's also not likely to get worse. The great thing is that corrective surgery can be very successful and highly rewarding. In order to assess your personal situation, you would need to be seen in person. Usually, each breast requires different corrective techniques to make you as even as possible and breast implants are needed as part of surgery as well. In my experience this can be a life-changing surgery, particularly for a young woman looking forward to the future.
As has been mentioned in other responses, photos would be very useful. You have however qiven a fairly good description of what might be a type of breast deformity that is referred to a tuberous. Treatment of breast asymmetry various widely and will depend on what size breasts you are desiring. At 18 there will be little additional change in the contour shape of the breasts, but with changes in weight, future pregnancies the sizes of the breast can vary and that difference will be unpredictable, so you will need to take into consideration the very high possibility of needing revisions in the future.
Roberta Gartside
Hello,

Thank you for contacting the clinic of Dr. McGill.

All your questions seem very valid but unfortunately this can only be determined at the time of your consultation with Dr. McGill. During that time she will be able to evaluate and offer you the best options for your case. Dr. McGill has experience with cases as yours, but you must be advised that we are a private clinic so the surgery will have costs involved that may vary depending on the procedure required. There is a file opening fee for the first visit in the amount of $100.00. If you do not live in the area of Montreal we will be happy to offer you a telephone consultation whereby you can send us some photos prior to the consultation so that Dr. McGill more of an idea of your case.

You may contact us to schedule an appointment with Dr. McGill from Monday to Friday (9:00AM to 5:00PM).

Best Regards,

Estèle Boulon

Patient Coordinator

4606 St. Catherine Street West

Westmount, Qc,

H3Z 1S3

T: (514) 508.3900

F: (514) 508.3901

E: info@sandramcgill.ca

Stay Connected:www.sandramcgill.ca / Facebook/ Twitter

CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING:

This message and any attached documents contain information which may be confidential, subject to privilege or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. These materials are intended only for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission you are hereby notified that any distribution, disclosure, printing, copying, storage, modification or the taking of any action in reliance upon this transmission is strictly prohibited. Delivery of this message to any person other than the intended recipient shall not compromise or waive such confidentiality, privilege or exemption from disclosure as to this communication. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete the message from your system.
Sandra N. McGill
It is unlikely that the breast will change. Again asymmetry is a common occurrence with respect to cosmetic appearance and not just in the breast. Our left side of the face is different when compared to the right side. If it continues to bother you, seek out consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.
At age 17 years it is unlikely that your breasts will change. I would suggest that consult with a Board Certified PS to evaluate your breasts and see what may best correct the asymmetry. It is advisable to hold off any surgery until you are 18 years old.
George Lefkovits
Most people do have asymmetry in their bodies. Women do have different sizes of breasts, but it does sound as though you may have a bit more asymmetry than the normal. I suggest having a couple of consultations, along with your parents, and discuss your concerns with the plastic surgeons.
Francis R. Palmer
Most people have some asymmetry of their features and breasts are no different. However, what you describe is unlikely to improve with time and if you find that it is an embarrassment to you and you wish to explore your options, you should arrange a consultation with an experienced and Board Certified plastic surgeon who can give you sound advice.

There is seldom only one approach to surgery and there are always "trade-offs". You have to have these carefully explained to you.
Louis Mes