All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Braces, Expanders

Hey,

So I got my expander in today, and I want to get it off already but so if I get expanders will that reduce the time I have braces?
Poster
  • Female | 18 years old
  • Ethnicity: Caucasian / White
  • Height: 63
  • Weight: 101lbs

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

3 UpVoted this answer Stephen Lee Carter, DDS, MS Orthodontist, Lakewood Douglas  MacLeod, DMD General Dentist General Dentist, Raleigh
Expanders often take a week or two to adjust to. You may feel like you are talking funny and that you are swallowing differently. This will improve with time. Make sure that you are getting enough calories in your diet as the expander does tend to impact the amount of food you consume. At 101 lbs, I doubt that you have many extra pounds to lose. In a case that is borderline bicuspid extraction, utilizing an expander may help reduce the time that you are in orthodontic treatment allowing the orthodontist to treat you nonextraction. Generally, extraction treatment usually takes longer. Maxillary expansion can also produce a wider smile that is even more esthetically pleasing. Also, at 18 years old, it is possible that you may not achieve true skeletal widening of the upper jaw which could impact the amount of time that you wear the expander. Hang in there and keep smiling!!!
Traditional expanders do not work to expand in the adult mouth. Expansion is possible with the use of specialized orthodontic appliances such as the Damon self-ligating bracket system. This technique utilizes a specialized sequence of wires to expand the arches to accommodate all of the teeth. Because of this ability, Damon is often done without the use of traditional expanders. The maker of the Damon brackets, Ormco, can be found online. They have a directory of dentists that provide this service.

Good Luck.
I see your age is 18 years. Typically expanders to expand the upper arch would not be possible on an 18 year old female without a surgically assisted approach, so Im not quite sure what you are referring to. Perhaps you are speaking about "separators" to make space between teeth for band placement? If you have separators, the discomfort should subside in a few days. If in fact you do have a "rapid palatial expander" in, I would question your orthodontist on the expectations of its success as an adult patient.
David M. Konys
I am not an orthodontist but expanders are prescribed/used to do just that: reduce time in braces. If your arch needs expansion, it's difficult to do that with braces alone, especially at age 18. Hopefully you are still growing and your expander results in relatively rapid movement. Using expanders can also help you achieve orthodontic results you prefer without removing teeth.
Expanders are used before braces to provide the necessary space to align the crowded teeth.And the time with the braces after expansion is also reduced along with better aesthetic outcome.It is advisable for you to persevere as after few days you will get used to the appliance.You may need to take pain meds.for few days if necessary.Also if you are going to have braces this will be a good test of your commitment.
Vinay Jerath
This is a question that onyl and orthodontist should answer
You got is cemented today and you want it off now? You must have a problem with commitment! I'm glad I'm not your boyfriend!
Todd H. Shainholtz
Be patient. Be compliant. In 10 years you will be glad you followed the doctor's instructions. To align teeth there must be enough space to align them in and bone to align them in. When space is lacking either teeth must be removed or space created by encouraging bone to reshape (expanders).
The good news, you will get used to the expander. Expenders are often a vital part of orthodontic treatment as they will help widen your upper jaw and, as a result, often address issues you may have with crossbites, crowding of your upper jaw and associated overbites. We know they are not fun, but it wont be for forever and the results will last a lifetime. One suggestion-- only do your turns right before bed, that will also ease the discomfort.
Be patient and you will get used to the expander. The first days are the hardest. The expander will increase the size of your arch and then the braces will move your teeth into the right place. Both steps work together to give your the best results and a beautiful smile. Please ask your orthodontist all of your questions and your concerns about your treatment. It is important to understand what is going on in your mouth.