All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

had composite placed mo and do on tooth #3

why would a dentist use an "a2" shade and not layer it to more natural tooth color.

very disappointed
Poster
  • Male | 36 years old

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

3 UpVoted this answer H2H Dental, DDS Dentist, lutz Douglas  MacLeod, DMD General Dentist General Dentist, Raleigh Leslie E. Nicholson, D.D.S. Dentist, Morgantown
IMO A2 is a universal shade. A resin restoration in tooth #3 is in a low esthetic area. Unless there is a noticeable shade discrepancy with your natural tooth color... what the dentist did is just fine. As long as your contacts and occlusion is good.
Brian Stoute
1 UpVoted this answer Dory Green, DMD Dentist, Fort Lauderdale
I think all the possible options or explanations have been discussed by the other dentist here. But layering of composites on a 1st molar is not usually performed unless the filling extends out on the cheek side of the tooth. With a MO and DO restoration no filling should be visible except on the biting surface of the tooth. And with an upper molar that would not be visible in everyday situations. Unless you discussed that with your dentist prior to him placing the restoration and he went against your wishes, give the poor guy a break and the benefit of the doubt. We are only human and not mind readers.
Leslie E. Nicholson
1 UpVoted this answer Douglas  MacLeod, DMD General Dentist General Dentist, Raleigh
Thats a great question and eye opening! Personally I would probably do the same thing on a posterior tooth. Im not sure about the shade. With that being said, There is nothing more that I would love to do is layer it and place the grooves in it etc and I bet if you said something, he'd replace it. Never hurts to ask. The bottom line is that most people would not care, especially if you were removing an amalgam/silver filling.

Like I said, you have opened my eyes to discuss these things with the patient and encourage feedback. Paul
Paul E. Schoenbaum
Unless your smile-line is wide enough for light to go in, and if the filling is on the cheek side visible enough to see the different which can be difficult anyway; It would not make a lot of difference whether or not layer technique is used. A2 is within the natural tooth color range, if match correctly it will still look very nice. You shouldn't be disappointed unless it is obvious that A2 shade did not match your tooth color in the first place.
Michael Huynh
Shade A2 is considered a 'universal shade', in other words, this shade matches the majority of teeth out there. Because of the location of this restoration, a single shade placed quickly may be a better option for the health of your tooth and for the success of the restoration.
I think I can understand your frustration. Not having a picture of the tooth it is very difficult for me to determine what may have gone wrong in this case. Shade A2 is considered a 'universal shade', in other words, this shade matches the majority of teeth out there. Of course, though we have many shades and can mix and match them to achieve the best esthetic result we can. In this case, because of the location of this restoration, a single shade placed quickly may be a better option for the health of your tooth and for the success of the restoration. The longer it takes to place the restoration (which happens when multiple layers of different shades are used) the more likely that moisture will contaminate the restoration. If this happens the strength, the bond and ultimately the longevity of the restoration is compromised. If the esthetics are more important to you than a sound and long lasting restoration then I would discuss this with your dentist--it may be possible to remove some of the composite and layer it as you desire. But you should know that there is some give and take here. In this case the 'give' is that it is more likely the restoration will have to be replaced sooner.

I hope this helps!
Ideally, it would be wonderful to layer each restoration so as to perfectly match the shade of the adjacent teeth. I cannot speak for your dentist and about why he chose to use an A2 shade for your composite resin. It is not incorrect to do so, by the way. Perhaps he considered the molar a posterior tooth not in need of very detailed aesthetics. Optimally, yes, the tooth would be restored with multiple layers of composite, each meant to resemble the natural hue of the original molar's surfaces. I would ask your dentist this question. The most important aspects of this restoration should be the occlusion, form, and interproximal contacts. When optimally finished, these are what give the resin the best prognosis.
I'm very sorry to hear you're disappointed. Generally, the upper molars are not considered an aesthetic area, so more universal shades are used. If you feel that people are able to see this restoration during normal interaction, you should absolutely address this with your dentist.
Generally a filling on tooth #3 is not considered to be in an esthetic zone. The only teeth less visible would be top 2nd molars and wisdom teeth. A2 is a fairly universal shade. Layering for esthetic reasons is generally reserved for front teeth. Obviously we want a good esthetic result from every procedure - within reason. All that being said, you expectations are what matter most. You should ask friends or family if they notice the restoration. If they do, or if it simply continues to bother you, you should let the dentist who did it know that you are disappointed with the results. Most likely, he/she will replace it at no cost and place a new filling with more thought into the shade. Your dentist has no ethical obligation to redo the filling if it otherwise functions properly, but again would probably redo it in the name of customer service.
I can't answer as to why another dentist does what he/she does. All dentists are entitled to practice as they see fit. However, dentists should have an obligation to provide a service that is acceptable to a patient. If you're not happy with the result, I'm sure the dentist would entertain your complaint. Remember not all dentists are trained equally. Not all dentists are equally skilled. Reimbursement for services rendered vary wildly. Maybe finances have something to do with it. A disappointed patient can either approach the dentist for a resolution or seek services elsewhere.