All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

antibiotics and anaphylaxis?

Can I take Cefadroxil if I am allergic to Biaxin (macrolides)?
Poster
  • Male | 40 years old
  • Ethnicity: Caucasian / White
  • Weight: 195lbs

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer
They are different classes of medications. Unless you happen to be allergic to Cefadroxil as well it shouldn't be a problem.
Sumeet K. Goel
Cefadroxil is first generation Cephalosporin antibiotic. You should be able to take it without any problems. Use with caution in patients with a Penicillin allergy.
Cefadroxil is a first generation cephalosporin antibiotic, while Biaxin (aka Clarithromycin) is a macrolide antibiotic. As such, they are not in the same class of antibiotics and hypersensitivity or allergy to one does not automatically contraindicate the use of the other. Of course, there's no rule saying you can't be allergic to both. Please discuss this with your licensed physician at the time the prescription is issued.
Jorge A. Sabin
As a traditional naturopath, I would suggest you research any medication you are thinking of taking on www.drugs.com FIRST. I have had a saying for over 43 years while providing healthcare services to my patients.

"There isn't anything mankind can do that God through Nature has not already done. Never underestimate the power of either." The definition of an anti-biotic (biology) is against life. I understand why people take this drug, however, high dose vitamin C & D, PRO-biotics, colloidal silver, garlic and many other natural remedies may do the same job WITHOUT adverse reactions & side-effects. At least consider what is misnamed "alternative" medicine as an options.
Dr. James Chappell

YES, I DON'T BELIEVE THERE'S A CROSS SESITIVITY.
Carey M Delcau
They are two different classes of drugs and you should theoretically be able to take Cefadroxil ( a 3rd generation cephalosporin) if you are allergic to Biaxin ( a macrolide). There is a distinct possibility that you are also allergic to Cefadroxil but it is not by virtue of your allergy to Biaxin.
Edwin Medina
There's no problem taking a cephalosporin (cefadroxil) if you're allergic to macrocodes as they are different classes. this of course doesn't mean that you couldn't happen to be allergic to cephalosporins as well...
Short answer: If you are NOT allergic to CEPHALOSPORINS or CILLINS, MACROLIDES should be safe. NOTE: I am not suggesting you take CEFADROXIL or any other medication for any medical ailment that has not been discussed explicitly and completely (to your satisfaction) with the prescribing physician. That said, MACROLIDES and CEPHALOSPORINS/CILLINS are ENTIRELY different classes of medication. That you have had any reaction in the past to antibiotics should suggest to you that letting someone else know you're starting an antibiotic medication would be prudent.

All the best.
Yes, there is no cross reaction between prototype of cefadroxil and macrolides types of drug.
Yes. Cefadroxil is a cephalosporin antibiotic and Biaxin is a macrolide antibiotic. There is no cross reaction between them.