All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Back Pain

My back recently started to hurt. I noticed it started hurting more when I was sitting in front of the air conditioner. I have pets so I've had the AC on all summer can that cause back pain? If so how can I minimize the pain?
Poster
  • Female | 38 years old
  • Complaint duration: 1 day
  • Medications: Ibeprophin ?
  • Conditions: No

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

11 UpVoted this answer
The air conditioner is not causing your back pain it is only triggering it. While it may seem like an inconvenience, finding out about your back problem this way is a lot better than the way most people do, with a crippling back spasm. It's a good idea to find a trusted chiropractor for a consultation and evaluation. It will most likely only take a few visits at this point to resolve your back pain.
11 UpVoted this answer David Otto, DC, DACBN Chiropractic, Orange Park
Over the years, I have heard many patients complain that they caught a "cold in the back". What they are referring to is a tightening and stiffness in the back which they relate to a draft or an air conditioner. You know how you tighten against the cold when you are outside in the winter? The tightening and stiffening of your back muscles when in a cold room or directly in the path of air conditioning can have the same effect on the muscles of your back. Tension can eventually cause pain. That being said, there are many other reasons your back may be hurting. The air conditioning may or may not even be a contributing factor. You can try to go without air conditioning for a few days then sit in front of it again to see if it hurts again if you want a better idea of the role of the a/c in your pain. If you get back pain from time to time, especially when rising in the morning or after a day at work, you probably have one or more joints not functioning properly in your lower back. This can cause problems, even permanent problems, down the road. Find a good chiropractor and have it checked out.
Anthony P. Galzarano
4 UpVoted this answer
Many causes for such a problem. please seek a chiropractor's care or go to your doctor for an evaluation. AND keep your muscles warm.
Thomas Kollars
4 UpVoted this answer
Periodically, our patient's history will reflect the same type of problem when subjected to cold, especially the longer they are exposed to the source. So try not to sit in front of the ac vent, or if you must, have a wrap to keep you warmer. After a week if you are still experiencing this pain, I would recommend you make an appointment with a chiropractor.
2 UpVoted this answer
So your back was hurting prior to the prolonged exposure to the a/c unit? Was there any minor trauma to the spine? A slip and fall or a slip and "catch"? The exposure to the cold air blowing on your back could possibly cause some aggravation to some issues you already have due to muscle contraction from the cold. I would suggest seeking advice from a local Chiropractor so that they can do a full history and spinal evaluation. A short course of care and some good advice may just be what the doctor ordered.
2 UpVoted this answer
If you are sitting in front of the AC as mentioned with your back near the cold air it could be causing the blood flow to decrease in this area which could cause tightening or spasming of the muscles and pain. Since it was only one day duration you will need to experiment and see if you continue to have lower back pain and is it only while sitting in front of the AC. If your back pain does not resolve then we are looking at something else entirely. Try using a heating pad on the muscles to see if this helps.
1 UpVoted this answer
Dr. Anthony is right on with is answer, as are the other practitioners. Our bodies respond to the environment we are in, both external to the body and internal to the body. Our nervous system is what regulates that response. If we're cold, we shiver. If we're hot, we sweat. Etc. Your body often doesn't know the difference between physical, chemical or emotional/mental stress and sets up habits or patterns to compensate and adapt for it. Enough exposure to that air conditioner repeatedly over the summer could create a habit in your body that even when you're not in front of it and even if there is no pain could be causing your body to deviate from ideal function. So, it's good to find a treatment to help with the pain, but even better to make sure that the habit or pattern that was created is eliminated so that your body can go back to doing what it's designed and programmed to do. Chiropractic is a great option in this regard. However, you have some other options recommended here as well. In the end, you have to go with what makes the most sense to you. So, continue to ask questions, get educated and keep taking great care of yourself!
1 UpVoted this answer
First of all move from in front of the air conditioner. Cold causes a vasoconstriction of your blood capillary network where the cold air is hitting you. This eventually causes an ischemic response / less oxygen. The body then gives off .chemicals when this occurs. The body is very sensitive to these and they cause pain. Muscles guard affecting normal mechanics and on and on. Move .....exercise stretch,,,,heat can be helpful.
Stephen G. Toth
1 UpVoted this answer
I would have to ask were you sitting facing or away from the AC and how close? Then I would ask how were you sitting; were you sitting leaning forward, reclined, straight up and down or slouching? What were you doing just before sitting-ish? Having a sore back for a day can be a lot of different things but I don't think that the AC is the cause of your pain. If you've had it on all summer and been sitting around it, how come now and not before with the back pain?
Robert Lawrenson
1 UpVoted this answer
Use heat pack carefully
Don Ha