All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Spotting on Depo Shot

I know it's normal to have spotting on the depo shot, but I have been using it for three years and this has never happened to me before. Last month was the first time and I spotted for a day or two and it went away. I just started spotting again today. It seems strange that this is happening after I've used the shot for so long. Should I be concerned?
Poster
  • Female | 31 years old
  • Complaint duration: 1 day
  • Medications: Depo
  • Conditions: No

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

depot shits over a period of time will lead to atrophy of the endometrium. ..see your ob/gyn
DR. ZAAR
It is very common to have spotting with use of the Depo Provera long acting birth control. The most common time to have spotting is in the first 6-9 months, however, it can be unpredictable. It is important to let your doctor know and take a pregnancy test as all contraceptives have a failure rate. The most common reason to spot on the Depo Provera is endometrial atrophy and sometimes your doctor can give you oral estrogen to stop it. Good luck.
Gary Levy
I wouldn't be too worried at age 31. However, you need to let your GYN know about it. He may want to examine you,and possibly do an ultrasound, to rule out unsuspected issues.
Depo-Provera, can cause bleeding from endometrial atrophy, or a uterine lining that is too

thin, especially after prolonged use. it can also lead to lower bone density, which is why

many gyneclogists recommend you use it for no more than two years. Some people have

other side effects like weight gain, depression, and low sex drive.
I don't think you need to be concerned about it. It is very common for spotting, but this usually happens in the first year of the shot. The reason for the spotting is that the Depo-provera thins that lining of the uterus and causes break-through bleeding. If it continues, then you could talk to your doctor about getting some estrogen (1 mg a day for 2 weeks as needed to help stabilize the lining of the uterus).
Ken Sinervo
No need to be concerned but I would recommend you have a pregnancy test and consult with your GYN provider to be on the careful side.
Mitchell S. Kramer
It is probably nothing, but to rule out any pathology inside the uterus, a saline hysterosonogram performed by your gynecologist, will rule out polyps and other uterine pathology. A simple pelvic exam will rule out vaginal or cervical causes for the spotting. Good luck.
This can happen from time to time. Nothing to worry about. If it persists then speak to your doctor about maybe trying a different form of birth control
Charles B. Palmer
This may be normal. The depo makes the lining thin and sometimes it becomes too thin. Thin lining can result in bleeding.

Your gynecologist can do an ultrasound to measure your lining and then consider giving you a short term trial of estrogen to thicken the lining a bit.
Carlos I. Gabriel