All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

If I were to get an expander,would I have it on at the same time as my braces or no?

Poster

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

12 UpVoted this answer
Yes, but most of the times you will find that expanders come first then braces. It is always easier to create the room so the teeth can be aligned easier once space is created.
6 UpVoted this answer
Usually an expander is placed before braces, but then is kept in for the 1st few months of braces. The expander can be removed about 6 months after you are done turning/activating it.
5 UpVoted this answer
In my practice I use the expander at the same time as the braces. In this way you can be accomplishing more treatment goals simultaneously, thus reducing treatment time. I prefer to use DYNAFLEX expanders (see their website) they are most comfortable and need the least amount of adjustment. Expanders work form the inside and Braces work from the outside.
Lawrence D. Singer
4 UpVoted this answer
Of course you can, it simply needs to be planned that way, if the dental practitioner you are seeing is comfortable doing it that way they will tell you. As with everything there will be reasons for it or against it, best to ask the doctor how he/she wants to do it and why.
3 UpVoted this answer
An expander is necessary to create room for our adult teeth. Many children have narrow arches which creates crowding when the larger adult teeth erupt. The expander is used to slowly widen the jaws to create the room needed. It is usually a slow process and ideally should be done around 7-10 years old. Most expanders need a year of movement to achieve the desired goal. The best option is see your dentist or orthodontist for a full evaluation so the treatment can be planned accordingly. Most orthodontic care in children is now done in stages so early planning is essential.
2 UpVoted this answer
most likely not.
2 UpVoted this answer
Yes, you would get your braces and expander together. The expander would be removed five months later leaving the braces until treatment is complete. This makes your treatment shorter and the improves the results. Donald J. Nee.y, DMD, MSD
Donald J. Neely
1 UpVoted this answer
Either. There are times we use an expander first to do just what it says, expand the arch. Other times we use it to correct crossbites.
Mike Huggins
1 UpVoted this answer
Depending on the orthodontic case and the age and tolerability of the patient, certain expander can be used at the same time as the braces are placed on . Sometimes it may be more efficient to shorten the treatment time if the patient tolerates. However, once the expander(say, a fixed one) has completed its purpose, part of it maybe remove to provide more comfort to the patient.
1 UpVoted this answer
Simply put: No.