All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

I had rhinoplasty done year ago. I cant really breath. I have to use afrin. It seems like islways have cold

Breathing problems
Poster
  • Height: 5

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer
How much afrin do you use and how frequently do you use it. Afrin is addictive, in the sense that when it wears off, you get rebound nasal congestion. Your best bet is to see a Family Physician to evaluate you and get you off afrin.

Carey M Delcau, MD

Family Physician

St. Louis, MO
Carey M Delcau
You are probably an Afrin abuser and you nose is reacting to this overuse and causing a chronic rhinitis. You must go cold turkey and get off the Afrin and in the future use only a steroid nasal spray if you must. Whether your nose is still crooked inside after your surgery needs to be addressed by your surgeon.
The likely reason you can not breath through your nose is that your nasal mucosa became "addicted" to afrin! Please see your doctor to find the other ways to open up the nasal passages, without using afrin, which will allow you to check if there is (also) another reason for the breathing problem, such as failure of surgery, etc...Hope this helps. Good luck
Petar N. Novakovic
Another reason for you search for if you perform good surgery.

Afrin release and see your family doctor,, may need to evaluate in terms of allergy.
M. Hakan Dural
A rhinoplasty is an operation to reshape the nose. It is frequently done to make the nose appear smaller and narrower. One of the risks of doing this is nasal obstruction. Post-operative nasal obstruction is usually due to swelling and usually temporary. After a year, the swelling should be resolved. You should go back to see your surgeon to see if can be corrected.

Chronic use of Afrin, or other decongestant nasal sprays leads to a condition known as rhinitis medicamentosa where the lining of the nose actually becomes addicted to the decongestant spray. When the effect of the spray wears off, there is a rebound nasal congestion. The cure for this problem is to stop the nasal spray. It usually takes about three weeks for the rhinitis medicamentosa to resolve. If you got hooked on the Afrin because of post-operative swelling after the rhinoplasty, then solving the nasal obstruction problem may be as simple as stopping the sprays. Your surgeon is likely to recommend stopping the Afrin as a first step.
Hugh E. Hetherington
Long term afrin use can further damage your nose and cause hypertension. You need to find out the cause of the problem.
David Resneck-Sannes
Stop the afrin and any other nasal sprays
Daniel A. Nesi
Occasionally even small changes in the nose can cause noticeable changes in your breathing. Often this get better with time as the swelling subsides. If it has been a year since your surgery and you are still noticing problems with your breathing I would recommend going back to your surgeon to have your airways examined. There may be some relatively simple things that he or she can do to relieve your symptoms.
Consider following up with your surgeon for airway obstruction. Most often, this is related to narrowing of internal and/or external valves along upper portion of nasal airway. The problem can usually be resolved, but another procedure may be indicated. Placement of spreader grafts, strut grafts, septoplasty, and/or turbinoplasty (or outfracture of turbinates) are popular techniques to improve nasal airway, depending on your situation.
I don't recommend the use of Afrin on a chronic basis. You should return to your doctor to see if they can recheck the rhinoplasty. Also I usually prescribe a nasal steroid with allergy medication over-the-counter in order to help alleviate some of the symptoms. I recommend that you see an otolaryngologist to fully evaluate your condition.
Michelle Vera