All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

toe swelling turned to foot swelling

My toe began swelling a few days ago which turned into painful whole foot swelling last night within a few hours and I can't put pressure on my foot. Doctors gave me antibiotics and painpills and treated it as cellulitis, could it be something else affecting my foot like my athletes foot?
Poster
  • Complaint duration: 4 days
  • Medications: Antibiotics and pain pills last night and tonight

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

2 UpVoted this answer Bernabe B. Canlas, DPM Podiatrist, League City Kelvin A. Barry, Sr., DPM Podiatry, Brooklyn
Cellulitis is certainly the 1st thing that comes to mind with the limited history provided and the picture. Athlete's foot itself would not cause this. However if it caused a break or crack in your skin, it could let bacteria in to create cellulitis. Do you have any fever, chills or nausea? Are there any streaks going up your leg. Were any x-rays made? You don't mention any trauma so we'll rule out any injury. Gout is not uncommon in the middle of your foot but is not often seen in a small toe nor is it often seen in several areas at once. You should keep taking the antibiotics and give it a couple days to work. Watch this closely and stay in touch with your doctor. Report any worsening immediately. If you're not markedly better in 3 days it may not be cellulitis or the antibiotic you're on are not effective against the bacteria causing the infection. Keep all follow-up appointments that were made.
1 UpVoted this answer Stanley Beekman, DPM LMT Sports Medicine
YOU SHOULD CONTACT THE DOCTORS THAT YOU SAW, AND FIND OUT THE RESULTS OF THE TESTING THEY PERFORMED. THIS IS A POTENTIALLY SERIOUS SITUATION, AND CANNOT BE TAKEN LIGHTLY.
although rare gout can mimic cellulitis/infectious process. based on your presentation I would recommend finding a certified podiatrist in your area for a closer lool
Alex Kheynson
I would contact the doctor you saw and get test results. You may have an athletes foot infection that produced and opening for bacteria to get in and cause a super infection.
Kelvin A. Barry, Sr.
If there is no history of trauma or suspected overuse that could cause a fracture, then you are typically decided between an infection or gout attack. Lab work should be done. The uric acid levels with gout at this time would not be above normal, but high normal, due to leakage from the blood into the soft tissue. A podiatrist, orthopedist, or primary care doc can help you. Dr Rich Blake
Richard Blake
I would strongly advise trying to get an appointment with a podiatrist as soon as possible if the foot does not improve with the antibiotics after 2-3 days or if the color is becoming darker red or continuing to enlarge. If you cannot get an appointment, get to an emergency room. Cellulitis is a possibility and there may be an abscess or infected joint. With the limited history, gout is another possibility. Circulation problems such as a smal blood clot (embolus) in an artery can also create swelling and color patterns like this. Get to an emergency room immediately if the toe is starting to become blue in color.
There are many possible causes for your presentation. It is impossible to say for sure your diagnosis without a proper exam, including possible diagnostic imaging such as x-rays, blood work, MRI, etc.. I would see a podiatrist near you to establish an accurate diagnosis and to direct treatment accordingly. Cellulitis, gout and stress fractures are certainly part of the differential diagnosis
X-rays would certainly be helpful to a rule out a stress fracture. Could be infection, could be gout. Are there any ulcerations or abrasions? Did it start with an ingrown toenail? Are you diabetic? There are so many unanswered questions that only the doctor that treated you can re-evaluate the condition. If they believed antibiotics would help then you should give it a few days and make sure you complete the Antibiotic course. Athletes foot can cause a cracking the skin which could evolve into a bacterial contamination and would need to be treated with appropriate antibiotics and possibly surgery if the infection is indeed from a hole in your foot. Without evaluation it's impossible to determine the cause. Good luck And call your Dr. in a few days If it's not improving substantially. Sounds like you were treated in the emergency room or immediate care. I would recommend a podiatrist.
Flavio Cordano
Differential diagnosis would be gout or cellulitis. Lab testing can help with an accurate diagnosis.
Daniel Bank
Could be thrombitis, in which antibiotics are of little use. Injury or circulation are also causes. Surely these were considered/ruled out? Good luck-God Bless!
Dr. Marc Munson