All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Tummy tuck issue

I had a hernia from a suture that cut off my intestines. Had to have many wash outs and cut out necrotic tissue and possibly part of left abdominal wall. This left my stomach asymmetrical. Had a tummy tuck to fix it in June. My stomach shape has changed drastically. It pooches out now starting below my breasts down to the incision above pubic area. It now looks like I am pregnant. When I touch pooch around belly button it is almost hard as if something is swollen underneath it. :(
Poster
  • Female | 36 years old
  • Complaint duration: 80 days

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

2 UpVoted this answer Leo Lapuerta, MD Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon, Houston
Based on your description you may have a recurrent abdominal hernia. You need to be evaluated by a general surgeon (one who performed intestine resection) as well as a surgeon (plastic surgeon?) who did your tummy tuck. In same cases a more extensive abdominal wall reconstruction may be needed by so called "component separation technique". That is a very extensive procedure that usually requires involvement of both general and reconstructive surgeon. Good luck.
Zoran Potparic
2 UpVoted this answer Leo Lapuerta, MD Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon, Houston
Sorry to hear of your severe problems with necrotic bowel and tissues. Due to loss of tissues, your tummy tuck was more likely and abdominal wall reconstruction than cosmetic tummy tuck. Nevertheless, your description may represent many different problems including blood or fluid collections, or even failure of the abdominal wall reconstruction. At this stage, returning for re-evaluation with your surgeon will help determine the etiology of the problem. If you do not receive a satisfactory explanation or evaluation, then consider a second opinion with a board certified Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon who has experience with abdominal wall reconstructions.

Good luck and I hope all works out well for you!
Daniel Calloway
Dear "Tummy Tuck issue":

So sorry for your troubles!!

There are several reconstructive options available based on a in-person evaluation by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Bring copies of all your General Surgery Hernia and Tummy Tuck records and photos with you. In many cases, this type of complexity, a referral to a well-qualified and well experienced Reconstructive Plastic Surgeon at an Academic Center may provide the best options for you. You may need more imaging testing to identify the problems.

I wish you the very best with this concern!!
1 UpVoted this answer Leo Lapuerta, MD Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon, Houston
You may have diastasis recti (separation of the abdominal muscles) or a recurrent ventral hernia.

The good news is that both of these issues are repairable.

Sometimes, a very large intervention is required. Sometimes, Something smaller like an implantable mesh may be required. A reconstructive surgery called a component separation technique may be the best option.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3205369/

If you have not yet had a CT scan, this would help you physician to define the anatomy of you muscle and fascia. The fascia (a layer overlying the muscle may be partially released to help to repair the problem if it is indeed a hernia. Good luck!
1 UpVoted this answer Leo Lapuerta, MD Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon, Houston
I am a General Surgeon as well as a Plastic & Reconstructive surgeon. I am unclear as to the specific details here. "I had a hernia from a suture that cut off my intestines." First, what was the original situation that required the suture to be placed? Where was this problem located? It sounds like you did have some compromise of bowel and the resection, wash out and loss of abdominal wall clearly describe a situation that would lead to an incisional hernia postoperatively. The pooching you describe may represent an anterior abdominal wall reconstruction technique that lacked sufficient tension (ironically too much tension is one of the issues that can lead to failure of the repair) to retain the intraabdominal contents under load, for example when standing or getting ready to stand. If there has been significant loss of anterior abdominal wall domain, they may have placed a mesh for reconstruction. This can indeed present as a weakened area that will blue under pressure. On the other hand, if a primary repair was performed under too much tension, it could fail and present as a recurrent incisional hernia. A combination of component separation technique and biologic acellular dermal mesh graft reinforcement may present the best long term reconstruction for you. This can be performed by a surgeon trained in both General Surgery as well as Plastic & Reconstructive surgery.
Mark Anthony Fitzanther Knight
You have been through so much! At least you have healed soft tissue coverage. You have a large abdominal hernia or a severe laxity of the muscle fascial layer. The abdominoplasty approach allows a complete view of the anterior abdominal wall fascia to allow repair with tissues and mesh. The area will need considerable tightening by an experienced plastic surgeon. Get a second opinion.
You may be describing a recurrent hernia versus recurrent diastasis. In order to determine which you have you need a portable ultrasound evaluation that can be done at the office. This is very important as it will determine the more appropriate surgical correction.
Arian Mowlavi
i would return to the plastic surgeon for follow up. You may have intraabdominal fat which can only be removed by weight loss. In a normal tummy tuck the abdominal profile should be flat.
Leo Lapuerta
You have been through so much! At least you have healed soft tissue coverage. You have a large abdominal hernia or a severe laxitywv m of the muscle fascial layer. The abdominoplasty approach allows a complete view of the anterior abdominal wall fascia to allow repair with tissues and mesh. The area will need considerable tightening of the fascia by an experienced plastic surgeon. Get a second opinion.
Abdominal wall issues from previous surgeries can leave the abdominal muscle lax and weak. Skin removal will not affect it, and likely a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty may not have repaired the abdominal issue. An abdominal wall reconstruction with muscle repair and/or a component separation may help to anatomically repair the underlying muscle issue which is causing this deformity.