All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Help!

Help !

Why did my dentist ask me it will take about 2 years to get my bracess and he's been putting spacers and elastic band for about 5 months already and he's making me wait every month and a half for an appointment?
Poster
  • Male | 18 years old

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

4 UpVoted this answer Bharat J. Chauhan, DMD, BDS, MDS Dentist, Livonia George K. Markle, DDS Dentist, San Francisco
The projected treatment timing is only an estimate. The movement is dependent on your specific problem and your home care with its affects on the supporting bone structure. The better your hygiene, the faster the movement. Also, being older, your bone is denser, which means that the tooth movement is not as fast. Check periodically with your orthodontist as to your progress and, remember, TEETH/GUMS DON'T READ THE BOOKS, so they have to be treated on an individual basis. Good luck.
Ronald F. Gravitz
1 UpVoted this answer
Your treatment time depends on the severity of your case. Usually a 2 year case has a combination of crowding or spacing with the way you bite. Aligning teeth is easy and it goes by fast, but fixing your bite is what takes the longest.

In regards to your appointments every 6-8 weeks, it's pretty common in orthodontics. This is to allow the new wire to do its job. You don't want to rush teeth movement as it can cause damage to the roots of your teeth among other things. Be patient, it goes by fast.
1 UpVoted this answer Bharat J. Chauhan, DMD, BDS, MDS Dentist, Livonia
You should address these concerns with your orthodontist. I suspect he is expecting and observing certain teeth movement to come about before placing the braces. These movements have to be done slowly and sometimes with different appliances. Time limit for treatment will depend the circumstances of your teeth.
Dr J. Abe Smith
Sounds like you need to have a frank discussion with the "dentist" who it is hoped would be an orthodontist, but these days, all bets are off. But "spacers" and "elastic bands sounds" like he is trying to do with "gadgets and gizmos" what surgeons do in a single procedure or two to move cases along.
John R. Scuba
Every orthodontic patient has different issues and the projected time in braces depends on many factors (age, genetics, case complexity and patient compliance). Think of it this way, you are spending a lot of money to have your teeth aligned to help you prevent future issues. Maligned teeth are more likely to trap food leading to decay decay which then could lead to the need for a root canal and crown. Airway issues later in life that could lead to sleep apnea which then you have to wear a device at night to help you sleep better. The slower your orthodontist moves the teeth the less likely you will have root resorption of each individual tooth. Even though it seems like you have had braces on forever, what you are doing right now will help you later in life. Your job at home is also very crucial in maintaining the health of your gums. Flossing and brushing will help keep inflammation down and thus lead to the teeth moving "faster". Your oral health plays a keep role in the length of time you will have to have the braces on. If you press the issue to get the off sooner just because you want them off, there is a possibility you will have to get them back on later in life. Side note, when you do get them off, wear your retainers.
Your treatment time is dependent on your particular situation. for instance, my wife went through a first phase where elastics and spacers were used to rotate and optimize positions of her teeth before brackets were placed. She was then in braces for over two years. Very happy with the result. This was explained before we started any treatment. My question to you, is do you believe you have a firm grasp on you treatment plan or did you before you started? You should feel good about these very permanent changes that you are paying for. If you don't feel good about it you should go back to your dentist/orthodontist and give him/her an opportunity to explain. If you don't like what you hear seek a second opinion. You are embarking on journey. You will see this treatment team a lot in the next couple of years. You should be comfortable and well informed on each step of the way.
Your dentist must have consulted you prior to starting your treatment, so it must not be a surprise!

The slower the teeth movement, the better the results, so you avoid shortening of your roots, or root resorption! You need to also take care of your preventative visits, to avoid gum problems and cavities.

If the duration of the time required to complete your teeth movement was never discussed, then that is a problem. But understand that even within the range that was specified by your dentist, it is not exact !

My advise is to discuss this issue with your treating dentist, and possibly get a second opinion.

Best of luck to you.
This sounds like a problem with communication, the time that removable appliances are going to be used for should be clearly discussed at the treatment planning visit, before treatment begins. Waiting between appointments is needed for the teeth to move and bone to re-shape. You should have known this from the beginning.
If I understand you correctly, your Dentist told you that your case may take 2 years to complete. This is usually a guesstimate based on many factors. Each patient isn't exactly alike. Each case isn't exactly alike either. There are many similarities though, that's why we can make guesses. Dentists therefore must make educated guesses about how long a case MAY take. But I don't quite understand what you mean by "spacers and elastic band for 5 months already" though. Spacers are generally placed between teeth for 3 to 7 days before a "band" is cemented onto a tooth. Elastic bands are often used toward the end of treatment for a number of different reasons, but typically they are used to help correct skeletal or habit issues. Most dentists have varying appointment schedules too and are often dependent on what needs to be done. The wires that move your teeth, typically need a sufficient amount of time to express themselves fully so that the tooth/teeth move in the needed fashion. I've seen schedules vary from monthly to every three months and everything in between! So you are in the middle. However, you obviously have a lot of questions about your treatment. I would suggest to you that you make sure that your dentist answers all of your questions to your satisfaction before you get too far along in your treatment. It's always better to know what to expect! And treatment plans can change too based on many factors, patient cooperation being one of them! So please ask the needed questions. Both you and your dentist will be happier if you do. Good Luck!
So first of all I am hoping that by Dentist you meant to say orthodontist and that an orthodontist is treating you with braces. A general dentist lacks the proper training to perform orthodontics effectively (but they are legally allowed to practice orthodontics, thus my need for this clarification). 2 Years is often a very typical treatment length for braces and, as every case is different, the manner and order of how the orthodontist treats your case can vary. In your case, the provider obviously feels that spacers and elastics are a necessary first step. That said, asking this group of experts is a little off base as none of us can see your teeth and bite position. If you are unsure why your orthodontist is doing what he/she is, the best course of action is to ask them to explain to you exactly what their plan is. The best course of action for you is to improve your communication with your provider, but from this end it sounds like everything you have stated is perfectly reasonable and likely right on track. Enjoy your awesome smile when you are all done!