All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Does this look like cancer?

Hello,

I've been chewing my cheeks for a really long time and not too long ago I really went at it and chewed up a lot in a spot where there is now a white patch. Does it look like it could be a scar or cancer? This came to my attention as I've just been told I have acid-reflux which has similar symptoms as oral cancer.
Poster
  • Female | 19 years old

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer Norman D. Knowles, DMD Dentist, Fort Pierce
No one can look at a spot and give you a definitive diagnosis, in truth if you have an abnormal area, it needs to be biopsied and evaluated by a pathologist.
Like biting your nails, chronic cheek biting can also become a nervous habit. Often the inside of the cheek gets swollen and it then becomes easier to continue biting the same spot. Over time this can result in chronic inflammation, possible bleeding and scarring of the area.
I would suggest having your dentist or an oral and maxillofacial surgeon evaluate the area.
Randall D. Stastny
First off NO ONE can look at a picture or even you directly and tell with 100% certainty that it is cancer or not. Your picture does not look particularly alarming with your cheek chewing history but have it evaluated by your dentist. Any biopsy or brush biopsy that may be done is only valid for the point it is done. Try to stop chewing your cheek, although that is easier said than done. Have it evaluated by your dentist and they can better advise you if they feel a biopsy or a brush biopsy are appropriate.
Diagnose of cancer legion is not consistent base on just looking. 100% of the time patients need to have a biopsy to determine what you have. Cheek biting is not a precursor of cancer but if you are concerned, then have your dentist prescribe a biopsy procedure and put your worry to rest.
Michael Huynh
See your dentist and have these things checked. Chronic cheek biting can cause scaring of the tissue. The chance of oral cancer at your age is very low but it still should be checked. You should also be treating your acid reflux. Discuss this with your dentist because acid reflux can damage your teeth. Your dentist can help you.

Good lick
If this area does not heal within a timeframe of two weeks please get an examination. your mouth heals quickly! you cannot tell if it is cancer just by the eyeball test. the area must be biopsied and viewed under a microscope.
Any definitive diagnosis of a lesion can only be made after comprehensive clinical , pathological examination, and review of the health hoistory.

Any lesion caused by repeated trauma can lead to a changes in the tissue that can range from benign to precancerous to a cancerous lesion, so please have it evaluated as soon as possible and get a biopsy done if recommended.
Sharad Pandhi
First you need to see a dentist for an evaluation especially in light of your acid reflux. This area could be anything from a ruptured salivary duct under the gum, to a l callus area from your chewing of your cheek to the start of a cancerous lesion. It needs to be seen clinically and then a determination will be made to biopsy it for a definitive diagnosis.
James A. Vito
One cannot be sure from one photo but it sounds and looks like scar tissue from the repeated trauma of cheek biting you have described. Make an appointment with your dentist for an evaluation. Please report to him any pain, changes in color or size of the lesion, and whether the area is unhealing. You may need a bite adjustment.