All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

one nostril goes in more after heavy exercise.

I had rhinoplasty done over two months go. When I exercise heavily on treadmill, one nostrils really suck up and caves in than the other, therefore affecting my breathing .. Is this normal? One nostril slightly asymetrical than other.
Poster
  • Male | 36 years old

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies
You are describing supra-alar pinching which can be corrected with an alar battan graft
Arian Mowlavi
Absolute symmetry following any surgery is very difficult to achieve. We strive for perfection, but this is rarely achieved. You may have an internal valve collapse. This means that you may have insufficient cartilage support of your nostril. When you inspire air, the suction created may produce a collapse of your nostril.

If you block one nostril and forcefully inspire, it should help to determine whether you have collapse of the other nostril. I hope this helps!
It takes several months for full healing. It your nostril still collapses then you may not have adequate internal cartilage support. Your rhinoplasty surgeon can check this out and advise you on possible options if appropriate.
-It is difficult to have patience after rhinoplasty, but it will take up to a year to know what your final result will be.

-the collapse of the nostril sound frustrating, you could test it with breath rite type strips and if that helps, tell your surgeon

-using these during exercise may be helpful.

Best Wishes

My response to you does not, and cannot, provide individual medical advice, but rather is for general informational purposes only. My response is not intended to be a substitute for individual medical advice, diagnosis or treatment by a physician, who is aware of your medical history and has had an opportunity to examine you. Do not rely on my response in place of seeking professional medical advice. The materials in this e-mail are private and may contain Protected Health Information. If you are not the intended recipient be advised that any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender.

The materials in this e-mail are private and may contain Protected Health Information. If you are not the intended recipient be advised that any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

This e-mail (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communications is strictly prohibited. Please reply to the sender that you have received the message in error, then delete it. Thank You.
Travis Tollefson
External valve collapse after rhinoplasty or nose job surgery is commonly seen after over resection of the lower lateral cartilage during your primary rhinoplasty. This can be a cause of nasal airway obstruction and can be corrected with lower lateral turnover grafts if there is enough cartilage, and or lateral crural strut grafts using septal or rib cartilage. Typically wait at least one year prior to secondary rhinopalsty or nose job.
Please go back to see your surgeon and let him diagnose the issue and repair it.
Edward M. Zimmerman
This is usually due to failure of internal nasal valve. Happens when upper lateral cartilage gets damaged or removed. Go back to your surgeon and ask his opinion. He will diagnose it by clinical exam. You may need a spreader graft with batten graft.
Amit Mitra
Although I cannot diagnose your specific problem without direct physical examination, the phenomenon you describe is known as alar collapse. It occurs during high flow states such as during heavy exercise or activities. This can can occur due to loss of support of the nostril cartilage known as the alar cartilage. If this is the problem, it is relatively straightforward to repair using a small cartilage graft, known as an alar batten graft. Surgery is often performed under local anesthesia. I would recommend re-evaluation by your surgeon.
I have already answered this question.

Good luck.
Gurmander S. Kohli
Thank you fro writing to me.

It appears that you significant airway obstruction on the affected side. Main cause of such a problems of nasal airway obstruction is turbinate hypertrophy. Please see your surgeon and a simple office test will confirm the diagnosis and after appropriate surgery (suggest inferior turbinate reduction) you will breath much better. I would recommend performing this procedure on both sides. When you exercise the turbinates become engorged with increased blood flow and you develop what is called "exercise related nasal obstruction".
Gurmander S Kohli