All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Which Graft last is best for longest time

I had rhinoplasty done over two months go. When I exercise heavily on treadmill, one nostrils really suck up and caves in than the other, therefore affecting my breathing .. Is this normal? One nostril slightly asymmetrical than other. it was told that i need a graft to fix.. coming from the ear.. what is recommend for life? rib ear or septal (if septal gone what else to use? also, should this be done on both sides of nose or just that is caving in? will this also fix it to be symmetrical?
Poster
  • Male | 36 years old

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer
Lateral crural strut grafts from a rib graft would be optimal for this common problem, likely from over resection of the lower lateral cartilage in your rhinoplasty (nose job). If the lower lateral cartilages are intact, then turnover grafts could be used. Ear cartilage does not have the structure of septal cartilage or rib cartilage. Hopefully a lower lateral turnover graft could be utilized for your secondary rhinoplasty.
I would keep in close contact with good communication between you and your surgeon. The general consensus is that rhinoplasty surgery is challenging. In general, cartilage is cartilage. The properties differ only modestly depending upon the donor site. The reason that rib cartilage may be sought is that plenty of this cartilage is available. Rib cartilage is often used when other donor sites have been exhausted or when large amounts of cartilage are needed. Additionally, rib cartilage is thick and robust. However, there is pain and scarring associated with harvest of rib cartilage.

I generally choose cartilage from the conchal bowl of the ear when the septal cartilage has been previously harvested. However, the conchal cartilage is often curved, and is not as desirable when long, straight, stiff cartilage is needed. This conchal cartilage is ideal for an alar batten graft to bolster the valve of the nostril open.

Give the repair time. I hope it will resolve without further intervention
It takes several months for full healing. It your nostril still collapses then you may not have adequate internal cartilage support. Your rhinoplasty surgeon can check this out and advise you on possible options if appropriate.
First, I would point out that you are still early in your rhinoplasty recovery experience and these findings will change further over the coming months.These are excellent questions and what you are describing sounds like narrowing of the middle vault and internal nasal collapse with respiration. You would need a proper examination of course, but from what you have described a spreader graft or upper lateral batten graft may be helpful, at least on the side that is "caving in" would be a likely option. Septal cartilage is typically the preferred graft as it is from this area and does not require additional incisions. There would be no reason to suspect your septum is "gone" unless you have had prior surgery or other trauma to septum or nasal lining. An examination would be helpful in this regard.

Spreader grafts can be done on one side or both depending upon the finding and appearance of your nose and any of the listed graft sources are reasonable choices with each having certain advantages and disadvantages. One that you did not list however is banked rib cartilage which is safe and effective and has been shown in multiple studies to has excellent performance for this application and eliminates the side effects associated with harvesting your own rib. This should be a point of discussion with the surgeon you choose.

Perfect nostril symmetry is a goal of rhinoplasty surgery but would not be something one could expect with any certainty. Most of us have small differences in the size and shape our nostrils anyway but if they are grossly asymmetric, it would be important to discuss this with your surgeon if you have not done so already. Best wishes for continued improvement in your recovery.
- Sorry to hear about your difficulty with breathing while exercising.

-at 2 months post op, you certainly can wait to see what changes as the swelling and healing proceed.

-Rib is the most recovery time and risk but the strongest, while ear cartilage is easy to harvest with little risk.

-you can likely become more confident in your choices with a second opinion consultation after 6-9 months when the healing is more mature.

I hope it gets better and that these ideas help you

My response to you does not, and cannot, provide individual medical advice, but rather is for general informational purposes only. My response is not intended to be a substitute for individual medical advice, diagnosis or treatment by a physician, who is aware of your medical history and has had an opportunity to examine you. Do not rely on my response in place of seeking professional medical advice. The materials in this e-mail are private and may contain Protected Health Information. If you are not the intended recipient be advised that any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender.

The materials in this e-mail are private and may contain Protected Health Information. If you are not the intended recipient be advised that any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

This e-mail (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communications is strictly prohibited. Please reply to the sender that you have received the message in error, then delete it. Thank You.
Travis Tollefson
All 3 cartilage sources work, but septal is usually firmer than ear. And ear is easier donor site with less morbidity than rib. My preference is septal, ear then rib. But all 3 work and in revision cases septal is usually unavailable or inadequate. Hope this helps!
Stephen E. Metzinger
Yes you have alar collapse due to a weakened lateral crus of the lower lateral cartilage., The physics behind this is that as the airflow speed increases into the nose it lowers the actual air pressure ( Bernoulli effect ). The relative increase in air pressure outside the nose causes it to collapse on inspiration. The proper way to correct this is with a cartilage graft batten from the ear ( conchal bowl) to add stability to the alar rim. . Rib and septal cartilage are too thick and easily seen. You should only do the involved side. If done correctly it will not be noticeable. I do this with local anesthesia in the office in 20 minutes
You ask a lot of complex questions..Your surgeon should have reviewed all of the above....You have to have a competent surgeon that performs a lot of rhinoplasties examine your nose and give you the necessary answers and alternatives that are appropriate for you clinical situation
Csaba L. Magassy
Sounds like you do need spreader and/or strut and alar rim grafts, but it is difficult to tell without examining you.

premierecenter.com
William J. Welsh
It is important to consult with your doctor regarding the best option for the cartilage graft. A proper evaluation needs to be done to determine the best surgery plan for your case. Good luck
Mario Alfonso Gonzalez Cepeda