All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Braces for the 3rd time (16 years old).

Is it common for an orthodontist to put braces on 3-4 months before removing two bicuspids? Why would an orthodontist do this? I have a serious overbite after being treated for it already. My orthodontist did not want to finish the treatment so I could get a surgery I do not want.
Poster
  • Female | 18 years old
  • Complaint duration: 1 day
  • Conditions: Overbite

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

2 UpVoted this answer John H. Cho, DDS Dentist, Long Beach Bradford J. Lockhart, DDS Dentist, Tustin
There are ways to correct an overbite without removing teeth! Find a member of the American Orthodontic Society (AOS) near you and get a consultation. Look up the AOS home office and get a referral. You might have to have teeth removed but you might not need it.
Steve Drescher
1 UpVoted this answer Hilary Baskin, DDS, MS Orthodontist, Denver
Sounds like a lack of communication issue here. There are instances when you might have brackets placed prior to extractions. I typically place them prior to bicuspid removal for many purposes, one of which is patient convenience...they can make appointments with their surgeon without worrying about coordinating appointments with me. I always explain to my patients that the extractions are necessary in the future prior to beginning any treatment. If not discussed previously, I would request a conference with your orthodontists to answer all of your questions. Please don't settle for a "treatment coordinator" as miscommunications can occur. Your orthodontist should be agreeable and more than willing to set your mind at ease. If not, perhaps before you have the teeth removed you may want to seek a second opinion. You can always remove teeth, but it is difficult to put them back!
David M. Konys
1 UpVoted this answer John F. Steinman, DMD Orthodontist, Barre
You should consider a consultation with an oral surgeon who does corrective jaw surgery. I am an oral surgeon and your overbite may need surgery. Don't rule out this option without a thorough evaluation. Many patients have straight teeth from extractions and orthodontics, but at the expense of facial balance.
Ronald Wright
1 UpVoted this answer Armine Nazarian, DMD Dentist, Beverly Hills
Usually the orthodontist comes up with a treatment plan and reviews that with you in terms of time and cost of treatment. Usually if extractions are necessary that should be in the original treatment plan and done before bonding. Is this a board certified orthodontist?
Matthew Hamilton
1 UpVoted this answer Armine Nazarian, DMD Dentist, Beverly Hills
You most likely have a skeletal discrepancy between your upper and lower jaw which can not be compensated for by orthodontics alone and requires a combination of surgery and orthodontics. Make sure that this option has been explored. Once the teeth are extracted, it is very difficult to do the treatment right.
There are many ways orthodontic treatment can be done. With this being said, finding the treatment that is best for you and establishing a good communication between the oral healthcare provider and the patient is key. It is very common in multi-phase orthodontics for braces to be placed, teeth moved, or removed. The orthodontist is possibly worried/ concerned about what will happen in the future if they can't get your teeth to the correct bite. A big misconception is that the patients feel it is a waste of time and money. And from a provider stand point, we are concerned about what happens to your occlusion (bite) years down that road. From a personal experience, I am in braces for a second time because I didn't take the advice of my orthodontist when I was 15 ….
Dr Konys is correct. It's important for you to communicate and understand all the whys and wherefores relative to treatment and the expectations of all parties. Patients always expect the ideal result which for MANY reasons may not fully come to pass. Ask your Dr questions not this site. It's he or she that can evaluate and treat and the Dr who you can thank or be upset with. The 3rd time? Wow.
Kenneth A. Zipkin
I think you need a second opinion from another orthodontist. You ,at not need these teeth extracted but your palate expanded so the upper teeth are positioed in a more predictable and proper fashion with your lower teeth. There are no guarantees that if teeth are extracted that you may not relapse for a fourth time. Need to investigate what it is about shape of your mouth that causes you to relaps.
James A. Vito
You need to see an oral surgeon for a complete "FACIAL" evaluation, not just an evaluation of "where your teeth are". Many patients have a notion that fixing their over or underbites--particularly large ones--will magically make happier with their facial appearance, when in actuality it seldom happens. And ALL too often the "surgical" discussion is NOT carried out with the person who should do it--an oral surgeon who does orthognathic surgery--likely exactly what you need. So unless you consider a "surgery" you "do not want" (for some reason), you are headed for a suboptimal, often unacceptable, result. See an oral surgeon.
John R. Scuba
Wow, surgery is a big step. Surgeries don't always work out so well. From your description of your situation I would strongly recommend you get more opinions (at least 5). We try to avoid extractions and Surgery if at all possible - can alter your facial profile and cause problems with the TMJ. Again, highly suggest you get more opinions before you do anything.
Lawrence D. Singer