All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Expanders

I got expanders yesterday, and they have been rubbing into the inside of my cheek. On my right side, there is a bump and a cut. Is there anyway to make them heal. Also, to prevent this should I put a cloth? Is there any other ways I can prevent it?
Poster
  • Female | 18 years old
  • Ethnicity: Caucasian / White
  • Height: 63
  • Weight: 101lbs

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

3 UpVoted this answer Armine Nazarian, DMD Dentist, Beverly Hills San Bruno Ave Dental Group Dentist, San Francisco Michael C. Bell, DDS Dentist, Austin
Your dentist or orthodontist can give you some soft wax to put on the rough outside part of the appliance to help until your cheek gets a little tougher and more used to the rubbing. Call and they should be able to help
Franz Weyandt
2 UpVoted this answer
Have your dentist check out the area first. Looks like you need some orthodontic wax. Initial appliance placement can cause these problems but the effects are only temporary. If you are nearby stop by my office and I'll give you some wax (complimentary) otherwise you can get it at most pharmacies. Good luck! Peter Merai, DDS
1 UpVoted this answer San Bruno Ave Dental Group Dentist, San Francisco
I'm sorry for your discomfort. New orthodontic treatment can often be compared to buying new shoes...it takes time to adjust to them and frequently there are irritations involved. The rubbing isn't unusual. The cut and bump might be though. Wax, antiseptic mouth rinses, pain relievers etc. can reduce these negative symptoms, but a follow-up with your orthodontist/dentist may be warranted to be sure that there isn't something going on that isn't supposed to be. But generally time (1 to 2 weeks) takes care of things. Good luck!
Orthodontic wax, NSAID's, and time will all work together to mitigate the problem. With time the lining of the cheek will toughen and be less tender. If there are still areas of concern see your dentist/orthodontist for follow up care.
Discomfort due to new appliance is normal. You should let your orthodontist know what you are experiencing.Your dentist will probably recommend ortho wax to cover the sensitive areas until your mouth gets used to the new appliance. Sore spot or white looking on your cheek area is normal but if there is cuts you should see your dentist for adjustments. Good Luck
See your orthodontist. Why? To make sure that the cut is not serious and that whatever caused it will continue to do damege. Your orthodontist will give you wax to cover the irritant AND instructions on how to use the wax.
See your dentist with your complaint, the one who did the expanders.
The best is to put wax over the area that is annoying. eventually your mouth will get used to this and you will not need the wax any more. This is common with newly installed orthodontic appliances e.g. braves and expanders
Lawrence D. Singer
Return to your orthodontist for the expander to be adjusted
Brian Stoute
You should have been given wax by your Orthodontist.Please call the Provider to treat you ASAP.In the meantime you can take a pain med.and apply teething gel.which is a topical anesthetic and will numb.the area and provide temporary relief..
Vinay Jerath