All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Will these big bumps ever go away?

I had scar revision surgery done 14 weeks ago by a plastic surgeon on my cheek. The scar is 2 and a half cm. The scar has 2 big bumps, the one on the top is very big. I don't know are the big lumps on each end of my scar dog ears or the sutures underneath. The surgeon everted the wound so that it wouldn't be depressed. Do you think these bumps will ever go away and if so how? What might you recommend to help?
Poster

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

3 UpVoted this answer
This appears to be dog earing of the ends of the wound. It may imporve over the next several months but I think I would try to inject a little steroid solution into the area at this point.
S. Randolph Waldman
2 UpVoted this answer
Scar revision surgery can help decrease the size of the scar, wideness and restriction of movement. Scars take time to heal and sometimes internal sutures can for nodules that can be helped with scar care and scar massage. Compression with silicone can help. Scar revision is a common plastic surgery procedure that can help flatten the scar which can take up to a year to heal completely.
2 UpVoted this answer
This scar is too immature at this point for surgical scar revision. I would not inject corticosteroids because they can cause skin atrophy. 5FU Is too early at this point. Hyaluronidase is also too early because it too can cause wound breakdown. Options include massage with vitamin E oil, silicon gel application, always sunblock with zinc oxide and titanium and avoid PABA , Microdermabrasion's, erbium laser resurfacing, fractionated laser resurfacing or a combination of both erbium and Fraxel. My personal preference is the aforementioned laser combination of erbium and fractional laser resurfacing every month. Spot focus laser resurfacing on the bumps can help diminish the size of the bumps and bring them down to the surface level. After each laser treatment antibiotic ointment is usually applied for 1 to 2 weeks followed by silicone gel therapy until the next laser treatment. Sunblock is imperative. Scars are not fully mature until 8 to 12 months. Best of luck in your endeavors.
2 UpVoted this answer
I would agree with the rest of the colleagues on doctor base. First the wound is not completely healed at this time and you would need to allow at least 6 to 8 months for it to fully heal. Second the face usually heals very well as compared to other parts of the body so if you continue taking care of the wound by using sunblock and massaging it will improve in the coming months. You should still stay in touch with your surgeon and consider his recommendations also.

Thank you
Saul S. Lahijani
2 UpVoted this answer
At 14 weeks, the scar still is immature and will improve further. The "bumps" at the top and lower end either represent "dog ears" = tissue excess, which may flatten out, given a little help (i.e. massage). Alternatively, the lower one could be bulky because of suture knots, which will absorb with time. The central part of the scar appears very acceptable. Sun protection, gentle massage (not excessively worrying the scar) & tincture of time will help considerably. Good luck.
Lavinia K. Chong
2 UpVoted this answer
For fourteen weeks, I think this looks just fine as the scar is not mature yet. I suspect these are dog ears that were left to avoid making the scar any longer. I would recommend gentle massage of the raised areas, sun protection, and (most of all) patience. The scar won't be mature for another 6 months or so.

Good luck!
1 UpVoted this answer
Massage massage massage with a triamcinolone cream. Place a silicone barrier on it every night. Massage massage massage. After 6 months think about steroid injection or laser resurfacing such as Fraxel.
1 UpVoted this answer
The bump on the bottom is definitely a small dog ear, and the one on the top is from slight asymmetry of the closure and/or a slight dog ear. If you do nothing they will both improve somewhat with time. At 6 months I would say you will be looking at a final result and that would be a good time to do any revision work. You also have the option of just going with some revision at present as it can be annoying to wait out a problem that possibly may not go away. Should be simple to fix in 20 minutes with local in the office
1 UpVoted this answer
I would be patient. 14 weeks is early in the natural history of scar remodeling. Over the counter scar treatments such as Kelocote might slowly help and later a cortisone injection might be considered. P Beckham MD
Patrick Beckham
1 UpVoted this answer
Looks like dog ears from wound length to short. May be keloid as well. If intracuticular suture used could be where suture is. Time, massage, possible steroid injection at 5-10 mg intralesional.
John Phillips