All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Astigmatism with myopia

hi tell me please what's the best to wear glasses or contact lenses for astigmatism with myopia, can I find contact lenses?
Poster
  • Male | 30 years old

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

2 UpVoted this answer
Your eyes are not perfectly spherical, or round. Few of us are. Part of the light rays are not in focus without correcting those rays that part of the steeper or flatter part of your cornea. Imagine your eye is a round balloon. If you pull lightly the balloon will flatten in that direction and steepen in the opposite direction. The more this is true the better you see if we correct it.

Gas permeable contacts do this best. Soft contacts are called torics and they are good if your cylinder is about 1 diopter. If your astigmatism is less than 1 diopter than a normal soft lense works great! Probably better for eyes as well! If your eyes aren't dry contacts are awesome. Don't sleep in them.

If your astigmatism is large you could have a condition called keratoconnus. A special scanner know as a topographer can usually catch this. We have exciting new treatments for this! This condition is often associated eye rubbing so don't.

Finally I am a surgeon so laser vision correction can normalize the shape of your cornea and give you outstanding vision without glasses or contacts. Your eye needs careful analysis to determine you are safe!

Good luck and I hope this was helpful!
Richard B. Foulkes
1 UpVoted this answer
Glasses and contact lenses are both suitable options for myopic astigmatism. A pair of glasses with an up to date prescription is always recommended if you choose to wear contact lenses. Contact lenses should be professionally fit. Speak to your Optometrist regarding what lens types are available for your specific prescription.
Jenna Bright
1 UpVoted this answer Donald J. Higgins, OD Optometrist, Plainville
Depending on the amount of your astigmatism and nearsightedness, there are a good amount of choices to pick from for contacts. So contacts are a great way to go. The debate over glasses vs contacts is always hard to answer. Contacts give you more peripheral vision and no real "blind spots" . The optics of spectacle glasses are always better than contacts so you may see crisper with them . Both great options. If your eyes are dry, then glasses are usually the better choice.
Catherine Ferentini
Much of the answer to this question is based on the curvature and thickness measurements of the cornea in each eye
Michael Brenner
I vote for RGP contacts when correcting astigmatism. But they are not as comfortable as soft, so if possible, I would try soft first.
Jennifer Unger
Yes you can wear a toric contact lens, a gas permeable contact lens or have laser vision correction. Glasses are the safest option. A competent eye doctor should be able to fit you with contact lenses!
As a general statement, yes. However, keep in mind that contact lenses are not suitable for everybody. That said, there are many manufacturers of soft contact lenses and most have parameters available in myopic and astigmatic parameters. There are some limits to the optical powers available in some products, and this does vary by manufacturer. Another choice might be rigid gas permeable contact lenses as these are made specifically to the corrective power required by the patient with (almost) unlimited parameters available. Each product has its advantages and disadvantages, some choices are more suited to certain optical prescriptions than others. For example, glasses are easy. You put them on and go. No skills needed to learn about getting them in/out or handling, cleaning and storing. Glasses do have limitations in that the corrective lens and field of clear view is defined by the frame. If you look outside of the frame, the vision is blurry. Contact lenses go on your eyes and follow whatever direction you are looking, so there is no perimeter blurriness. Advantages of soft contact lenses are quick to learn skills, comfortable to wear on the first day and good vision. Advantages of gas permeable contact lenses are superior optics, so better vision (compared to soft contact lenses) and product durability. So, the long and the short of it is, that there are lots of options available to correct myopia with astigmatism. I recommend that you schedule an appointment with your eye doctor and discuss which option is the best for you!
Carey A. Patrick
The deciding factor(s) on which will be best for you depend on many things other than having astigmatism with myopia. And when I say 'many' I mean it. Just read the excellent answers already given to see the numerous factors involved in the choice of glasses vs. contacts. Sorting through the variables and the options available are best handled in an evaluation with your doctor.
Jeffrey Jessup
Depends on the amount and type of astigmatism you have and if your eyes are very dry. With all the contact lens types available today and newer treatments for dry eyes you should be able to wear contact lenses comfortably if that's what you want to do. Both glasses and contacts have their plusses and minuses but both should be options for you depending on your wants and needs.

Dr. Higgins
Donald J. Higgins
It really depends on the amount of astigmatism you have. as stated by a few of the previous comments, usually a more precise prescription can be cut into glasses, however if you have a large amount of astigmatism there are specialty contact lenses that can provide superior vision than glasses would. If you have a pretty average prescription then you really can't go wrong either way. Discuss your wants and needs with your optometrist regarding vision and wear schedule and I'm certain that you will come to a decision that you are happy with.
Michael C. Martorana