All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Skipping periods via birth control

Hello,

I have been on ortho tri-cyclen lo for approximately 9 months now. I was wondering if it would be possible for me to 'skip' two periods. I'm in a long distance relationship, and I'm seeing my s/o on the exact days that my projected period dates are, and for easier intimacy, it would be preferred that I wouldn't be menstruating. Thank you for answers in advance.
Poster
  • Female | 18 years old
  • Medications: Ortho tri-cyclen lo

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer
You can skip the inert pills at the end of the cycle and start a new pack to delay your menses. A monophasic pill

like Levlen might work better (lower risk of spotting). There are oral contraceptives that are designed

for every 3 month menses (Seasonale, others).
This can be done by using only the active pills non-stop, without taking any of the sugar or placebo pills. Your doctor can help you with getting the prescription.
You can skip one cycle but not a good idea to do two or more as the break through bleeding rate goes up. You need a monophasic pill pack like ortho cyclen (all pills the same) then just skip the placebo week and go back to back 6 weeks in a row. Ask your obgyn
Kianoush Khaghany
Sure you simply keep taking active pills (Skip the placebo pills at end of pack).
Yes! That's the short answer!

This is not only a common practice, but a very safe practice. Just do not take the placebo (sugar) pills at the end of your pack. Just go straight to the next pack and start it.

By continuing to take hormones you will keep the lining of the uterus fertilized with hormones but thin so that there will not be anything to bleed. Any lining that you do produce will be recycled and absorbed by the uterus.

I agree with Dr. Roth that changing to a MONOphasic pill, one with just one dose of Estrogen instead of 3 like a TRIphasic would improve your outcome.

hope this helps.

Be well,

Dr. Lara
Adrienne E. Lara
I will definitely seek out this option in the future. I would also like to know if it's safe for me to skip periods.
Poster
It certainly is possible for you to skip two periods. However it would be better for you to change to a monophasic birth control pill rather than the "tri" phasic pill you are currently taking. The pill you are currently taking changes the amount of estrogen in the pill every 7 days. If you want to avoid having a period it would be better to take a pill where the estrogen and progestin dose are the same for 21 days. For example if you were on ortho cyclen you would take the pill as directed but then when you got to the "blank" week instead of taking the blank pills you would just start a new pack of pills and avoid having a period. There are several oral contraceptive pills on the market that do exactly that, instead of having a period every month you would have a period every three months. I would talk to your gynecologist about switching your current pill.