All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

is it better to goto a dentist that uses a dental microscope?

hello, i am going to get a crown and was wondering is it better to visit a dentist that uses a microscope than one that doesnt? does it really matter with crowns?
Poster
  • Male | 36 years old

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer Karly L. Sukut-Neppl, DDS Dentist, Costa Mesa
I have a microscope that I use for some occasional challenging root canal cases. Personally, for 99% of crowns being prepared, what matters most is a good preparation, impression,dental lab and the dentist's judgment of the crown before cementing it. And so, the microscope would not matter much at all for this particular procedure 99% of the time.
A microscope makes no difference as long as the dentist has good vision and hand eye coordination. The amount of additional detail and information provided by a scope often exceeds the technical ability of the human hand and eyes.
John R. Scuba
Use of a dental microscope is no guarantee that the crown would be better than one done without a microscope. If if makes you more comfortable to get the crown done by a microscope user then I would recommend that you do so.
Brian Stoute
Dental microscopes are very popular with endodontists but have not made much market penetration or adoption with general dentists. It is important that your dentist see what he/she is doing. Most of us use magnification of 2 to 4 magnitude and find that quite sufficient for crowns. My opinion is that if it really mattered everyone would be doing it.
No, for crown preparation

&

No, for most dental procedures
Dr. Rose Magno
No , for crown preparation

&

No , for most and procedures
Dr. Rose Magno
Microscopes are another tool that a dentist can use to help with daily procedures. I wouldn't base my decision to go to a dentist based on their collection of gadgets. Ask your family, friends, neighbors, and coworkers for a recommendation of a dentist that they like. I would suggest you ask if they have had any crowns from that dentist and how comfortable they were both during and after the procedure.
Personally, I believe what is most important is thorough planning when it comes to choosing preparation design, materials used, and clinical skill and experience. The laboratory team member should be proficient in functional aesthetics so as to create a naturally appearing crown that restores the bite and smile back to optimal function and aesthetics. I used magnifying loops when treat my patients, It certainly allows for clearer and more focused precision. Good Luck!
It doesn't matter unless the dentist's vision is impaired.
J. Abe  Smith
The better you see the better you can do. That being said - the right amount of magnification is also obtained iwth loops - glasses that magnify the teeth. I always work with magnification using my loops so htat the margin can be celarly visualized and properly prepared. This is the most critical area when preparing a tooth for a crown - and yes it does matter a great deal to ensure the best possible fit for a well-sealed margin and better longevity.