All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

two questions: 1. Crown Tooth #4, and 5 or put composite if cost were no option? xrays attached .my dentist made the reccomendation below. 2. cerec or lab ?

You will need to make a decision. The crowns will be made of lithium disilicate (all porcelain); no metal (aka porcelain fused to metal). Due to fact that these are large fillings, we have already lost a good deal of tooth from 20 years ago. Replacing with a filling is a good option. It is conservative, but it will break down in future. The future is unknown when it comes to timing, will it last a long time or just a few years? A crown is another good option. There will be no immediate need
Poster
  • Male | 36 years old

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer Brian L. Kirkwood, DDS, DDS Dentist, Greenfield
Your dentist provided an excellent statement of your situation. The fact that he included all reasonable options and is reassuring you that there is no immediate need makes me wonder why you are asking for advise from us, people you have never met and are not likely to meet.

Maybe a few minutes with one of your dental team members, such as the patient coordinator, would answer your questions more appropriately.
Maria R Burmaster
1 UpVoted this answer Maria R Burmaster, DDS Dentist, Marrero
The fillings on the x-rays look perfectly fine, so without actually doing a clinical evaluation, it's impossible to give a recommendation on whether fillings or crowns should be done. The bigger question is. If you're posting this question on DoctorBase, do you not trust your present dentist in his/her recommendations?
Michael Nishime
1 UpVoted this answer
I think crowns are definitely better options as far as cerec I like my crowns to be made in the laboratory.
Maryam Talaie
I do not see #4,5 as needing a crown based on the X-ray image. Composit or porcelain inlay should be sufficient unless there are extenuating circumstances such as the amalgam filling being larger than it appears or you grind your teeth. Options are always good but there should be a recommendation of specific treatment and why. This is a recommendation that should come from the dentist who knows you.
If cost is no consideration... I still wouldn't change my opinion. You had great advise. I am conservative and I would leave them until there is breakage, decay or discoloration that offends you. Then I would fill and wait as long as possible prior to any crown.

Only you and your Dentist know those answers.
Brian L. Kirkwood, DDS
They appear to be moderate size fillings. I suspect a fracture of the filling on #5, there appears to be some decay starting under that. My basis for recommending a crown over a filling is when the filling has replaced more than a third of the remaining tooth structure. Replacement with a filling seems reasonable, but I would advise that crowns may be needed eventually.

As for Cerec, I would want some one who has used the machine for quite a while and is proficient with the technology.
Lisa M. Murray
It is hard to give a proper answer based solely off of those x-rays. Looking at those, I would say everything looks good with the fillings. However, looking into your mouth may show that those fillings or part of your teeth are cracked, etc. Therefore, without a full exam, it is too hard to give a definitive answer.
Silver mercury fillings last a very long time and almost always fail by leaking margins or fracturing the tooth. Assuming the treatment is based on a valid diagnosis, saving tooth structure is paramount for the longevity of any type of restoration. CEREC is the best option most of the time. Unless the surrounding tooth is not restorable, you should not need to fully crown the tooth. CEREC's allow for minimal tooth preparation.
In my practice I always try to keep things as simple as possible. Unless the fillings on #4&5 are breaking or not protecting the tooth as they once did, then a crown will be the better option as it is more durable than a composite filling. We offer Cerec [Same Day Crowns] and our success has been phenomenal if the crown and tooth prep is done appropriately. Good luck with your decision
Without examining the teeth directly, it is hard to say for sure. Porcelain fused to metal crowns are quickly becoming a thing of the past. I always tell patients these crowns are like VHS tapes. They were the best thing going in their day, and still work fine, but there are better options like DVDs and Blu Ray. Lithium disilicate and Bruxzir (all zirconia) crowns are the current standard. They are stronger, look better, and tend to chip much less easily than PFMs. If you've lost a "good deal of tooth," it sounds like crowns are a good option now. Ask your dentist if he offers Bruzxir crowns. They are more conservative (less grinding), incredibly strong, and offer pretty good esthetics (not as good as lithium disilicate, but near the back, you want strength over looks).
Justin Dugas