All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

My husband is anemic

I just found out that my husband is anemic. Could this be passed onto a child and also I had HELLP syndrome and our baby had to be delivered early. I wonder if it could have something to do with that. I had read that sometimes HELLP is caused my the mother and father's DNA clashing...I do not know if this is true.
Poster
  • Female | 33 years old
  • Ethnicity: Caucasian / White
  • Height: 5' 5"
  • Weight: 200lbs
  • Medications: Concerta, birth control, singular, allergy shots (once a week)
  • Conditions: high blood pressure during pregnancy, HELLP Syndrome
  • Hospitalizations: C-Section/birth of child

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer
Yes, both HELLP syndrome and anemia can be genetic.
Don Ha
1 UpVoted this answer
I doubt there is a connection unless this is a genetic or inherited type which would only be an issue for the children. Your HELLP is a variant of pre-eclampsia or what is commonly called toxemia. I would seek the help of a hematologist if his anemia is of a genetic variant and not from other causes
1 UpVoted this answer
It depends on why your husband is anemic. There are some causes that are hereditary, while most are not. If your husband has a genetic condition that causes anemia, then you should be tested to see if there is a risk for our being passed on.

The cause HELLP is not completely understood. Your Child will not walk around with the risk of HELLP as a growing child. If it is a girl, she should notify her OB when she gets pregnant that you had it.
Carlos I. Gabriel
1 UpVoted this answer
There could be many causes to the anemia. It would be best to find a doctor who would address the source of the anemia first. If the mother was anemic during pregnancy and deficient in nutrients, then the baby could also be anemic or have the same deficiencies.
Clement K. Lee
1 UpVoted this answer
The cause of HELLP is not well understood. It is doubtful that your husband's anemia was a cause. It is important for both of you to improve your health, both for yourselves and for the big job of parenting ahead of you. Is your husband eating red meat? If he is and he is still anemic, he may need digestive support to be able to utilize the minerals in his food. Iron supplements are not always enough to handle anemia, but there are factors in meat that build blood. And you may find that your allergies improve if digestion is treated. Even seasonal allergies can improve when digestion and over-all health is improved. Both of you may want to seek the advice of a Nutritionist or other holistic practitioner.
just read yr bp thing...take pottasium supplement like upto 100 mg daily....u can get it from gnc
DR. ZAAR
these are genetic expressions but your husbands anemia could be due to several reasons....deworm him as startets and then get an iron supplment with foilc acid...blood test is mandatry
DR. ZAAR
Some types of anemia are hereditary, so be sure to find out if you husbands type of anemia can be passed on. HELLP syndrome, like preeclampsia occurs for unknown reasons. Subsequent pregnancies can be less affected if you have another child within about 5 years. Getting as trim as possible, and starting a baby aspirin at 13 weeks can both help to limit its severity in subsequent pregnancies.
I doubt that your husband's anemia is the cause. Sometimes anemia is inherited, but not always. An easy way to test the both of you for anemia or low iron is to simply and gently pull the lower lash line down and you will see inside the lower lid. If it is pale, then you are possibly anemic, needing more iron, and you can get that from beef (preferably grass-fed) or bison or even baby beef liver. If it is red, then you are fine. Just take a deep breath and enjoy your new baby and continue to eat a healthy diet.