All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Period

I've had my period for about 4 years and most of the time it's irregular, I've been told that it affects my eggs so will I be able to get pregnant in the future with not having to worry about a miscarriage or anything? Plus I'm scared of taking birth control
Poster
  • Female | 18 years old
  • Ethnicity: American Indian
  • Height: 5'6
  • Medications: None
  • Conditions: No

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies
There are two great supplements for regulating hormones: Chaste Berry, DIM and calcium-d-glucarate

Try these for three months and see how they helps:

http://www.amazon.com/Gaia-Herbs-Vitex-Liquid-Phyto-Capsules/dp/B003VT3YP0

http://www.amazon.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Plus-capsules-Count/dp/B00BFD09LG/ref=sr_1_11?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1410298197&sr=1-11&keywords=DIM
Having mild ovarian dysfunction, inability to ovulate regularly (also knows as PCOS--Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) is common and treatable. There are some basic lab tests to exclude other hormonal causes for irregular periods.

Don't be afraid of using low dose birth control pills to regulate and make your periods shorter/lighter. That's a good thing and doesn't effect future fertility. If you don't spontaneously ovulate when you're ready to conceive you can take fertility medication to help you ovulate regularly.
Having irregular cycles means that you are not having regular ovulation (releasing an egg). The most common cause is polycystic ovarian syndrome, which has a genetic predisposition, and is fine commonly in native Americans.

Diet has a big part to do with PCOS. If you Dint want to start birth control pills (which do a great job of keeping your period regular, protecting your lining from precancer, and keeping you from getting pregnant), then starting a diet and exercise program will help. Studies have shown that 7% weight loss can result in a normal return to ovulation without the needs of medication.

Be careful if you are sexually active and not using birth control because you may become pregnant as your ovulation returns to normal.

Lastly, some studies link PCOS to glucose intake, so you should consider a low carb diet with all your can intake being from natural sources like vegetables, berries, and salads.
Carlos I. Gabriel
It is not uncommon for teenagers to have irregular periods because your ovaries and the hormones from the brain that cause ovulation may not be fully mature yet. There could be other reasons such as overweight, thyroid problems, and other hormonal imbalances. So you should be checked for these problems. At any rate, you should not go without a period for more than 3 months. Not ovulating regularly may make it difficult for you to get pregnant but equally importantly it could be a health issue that should be checked.
Souhail Asfouri
you probably have polycystic ovary syndrome which does NOT affect your eggs

you may need help in the future when and if you wish to become pregnant

birth control pills are one option but there are many others, depending on how the problem is affecting you and what your hormone levels and other blood chemistries show
Michael Birnbaum
You probably are not ovulating. The most common reason for not ovulation is a condition called polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) Any OB/Gyn should be able to work you up for this condition, or find out why you are having irregular cycles. If you have PCOS the treatment is based on whether or not you are trying to conceive. If you are actively trying to conceive then you should be offered medication to help you ovulate if you are not trying to conceive then you should be placed on a medication to prevent both irregular cycles and protect you from having very heavy periods such as birth control pills, the Nuva Ring or Depo Provera.
i agree, you really need to see your gyn to discover why you are not ovulating on a regular basis.
David Lang
Irregular menstrual cycles does not affect your eggs but is a function of nit ovulating. See your physician as there are good treatment options including the use of metformin. This question is too complicated to answer in this forum but do not worry as OCP (birth control pills) will regulate your cycle, prevent unwanted pregnancies and not affect future pregnancy.
Kianoush Khaghany
Periods are commonly irregular in teenagers and generally regulate by the age of 25. You most likely are having periods without releasing an egg during the cycle called anovulation. This will straighten itself out with time, good eating habits, normalizing weight and regular walking.
Jonathan W. Singer