All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Should I be worried ?

I was to get my period on the 16th of this month and it never came, but I started spotting late at night on the 17th. It came down lightly on the 18th, and than a little heavier on the 19th. I went and did a blood test on the morning of the 19th and got my test results today and it came back postive that I'm pregnant. But I'm still bleeding. Slight cramps nothing major but do have some back pain. Should I be worried that I could lose the baby or that it might be a ectopic pregnancy ?
Poster
  • Female | 19 years old
  • Complaint duration: 4 days
  • Medications: None
  • Conditions: None

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

this is an urgent matter...plz go to ER...its probably an ecropic pregnancy. ..
DR. ZAAR
Both of your concerns are right on. The most serious is an ectopic pregnancy. Make sure to follow up with your doctor who will do the appropriate tests to rule out one or the other
Norm Dahm
Bleeding in pregnancy is always of concern. Would recommend get into see gyn who can follow HCG (pregnancy hormone) levels, do ultrasound as needed to keep a close eye on you. All outcomes are possible at this juncture including a miscarriage, an ectopic (tubal) pregnancy (though early), and of course progressing to a normal pregnancy. Best wishes to you.
Bleeding in pregnancy is not normal, however many people bleed in early pregnancy then they stop and the pregancy is carried to full term. You could possibly have a normal early pregnancy, or a miscarriage, or an ectopic pregnancy (particularly if your pain gets worse). You should see your doctor soon, and if your bleeding and/or your pain is worse than a period you should see a doctor immediately.
Souhail Asfouri
You should always be aware of the possibility of an early pregnancy complication, but spotting is common early in normal pregnancies too. If you are Rh(-) you need a medication called "Rhogham" to prevent a problem in future pregnancies. See your doc soon.
This is something that needs to be evaluated by your Ob
worry is too strong

you need more info

what is the hcg level and make sure it is going up appropriately

it does not have to double every 48 hours but it does have to

keep going up at a reasonable rate

have a vaginal ultrasound but remember you will not see a sac until

the hcg level reaches at least 1000 or perhaps 1500
Michael Birnbaum
I think you need not 'worry'! Certainly it could be an ectopic pregnancy, or miscarriage, but it could also be a normal (though early) pregnancy. You should seek emergency treatment (hospital or your gynecologist) if you are experiencing pain or having heavy bleeding (particularly if you have symptoms of low blood count (symptoms such as dizziness, lightheadedness, chest pain, shortness of breath, headache, blurred vision)). If none of this is the case, I believe there is a reasonable chance of this being a normal pregnancy. Miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy is a possibility in any pregnancy earlier than 20 weeks!
Dwight Hooper
The most common cause is early pregnancy but the most serious is an ectopic. You should have your gyn order some serial counts of pregnancy hormone and I'd it doubles in 48 hours , everything is ok. If not then they will follow you with blood and ultrasounds to make sure all is ok.
Carlos I. Gabriel
Yes, you should go to the doctor to have some blood tests and an ultrasound to see what is going on. it could be an ectopic or a threatened miscarriage.
Nicole J. Nguyen