All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

athletes foot

my daughter has a case of athletes foot I think. her symptoms are she has very itchy feet and she says her feet are sore and sting a little.. is there any home remedy for the itch? is the really athletes foot? if so how can I cure it at home and how long will it take? she has had this for 2 days now
Poster
  • Female
  • Complaint duration: 2 days
  • Medications: I had her soak feet in Epsom salt and warm water, I rubbed peroxide as well as witch hazel on her feet

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Athletes foot is a fungus (tinea cruris) that thrives in dark damp places. So it is critical to keep the feet very very dry. When at home, remove socks and expose the feet to the air. Also, it cannot hurt to expose the feet to UV rays. Then, you can generously apply tinactin, micatin, lamisil, or other topicals. I do not think epson salt or peroxide will kill the fungus. Alcohol (topical) may help, but will not completely eradicate this problem. Good luck!
Keep the feet very dry. Fungal infections crave dark moist places.

There are plenty of sprays and powders including Micatin, Tinactin, etc. at local pharmacies that are available without a prescription
Buy over the counter lotrimin cream also known as clotrimazole. It will clear it up.
Try the Tinactin or something similar over the counter form your pharmacy, if it does not get better see your primary care physician or a dermatologist.
Athlete's foot is a fungal infection which is quite contagious. It is most commonly picked up from school showers or other public showers were many different people take showers without sandals to protect her feet.

There are several over-the-counter remedies which can be helpful Tinactin is one of the best. I know of no home remedy that works.

I suggest that you try the Tinactin which should resolve the problem within a week. If this does not succeed then you should see a dermatologist for fungal cultures and a proper diagnosis.
There may a simple over the counter medicine for your daughter, however, if her symptoms persist, I would recommend you contact a dermatologist or podiatrist.
John A. Ness
Lawn prescription medications include Lamisil, Miactin, and Tinactin. These can be used for 1 to 6 weeks. If there are blisters present use Burrows solution for three days followed by the aforementioned non-prescription antifungal cream medication. Also, on a Google search there is a list of the top 25 homemade remedies as well. Best of luck.
Athlete's foot is a fungal skin infection that got it's name because it is relatively contagious and can often be contracted in moist environments such as locker rooms and showers. It is very treatable with over the counter medicines and your pharmacist can help you make a choice.

Obviously prevention is best, so careful drying of the skin after bathing, foot powders and trying to avoid contact with potential infectious surfaces, all help.

If problems continue, the cause may not be the athlete's foot fungus and you should consult a dermatologist for further testing.
Louis Mes
"Athlete's foot" is caused by a fungus that is common in the soil and moist environments. Most cases are easily treated by topical antifungal medications that are over the counter such as lotrimin (clotrimazole), micatin (miconazole) and lamisil (terbinafine). Generally, oral treatments are not indicated unless: 1. It is extensive or severe, or 2. It resists topical antifungal therapy.

If the feet are very itchy over the soles and heels and painful athlete's foot is less likely and the symptoms may be related to a contact dermatitis (that may respond to topical hydrocortisone) or manifestations of a systemic illness such as a viral exanthem. Topical treatment should help and the symptoms resolve over two to three days. Treat for an additional week after symptoms subside. If their is no response see a medical provider.

P.S. Dilute white vinegar soaks 2-4 x a day (1 part vinegar to 4 parts water) have been reported as helpful as an anti-itch and anti-inflammation.
James T. Sandwich
"Athlete's foot" is caused by a fungus that is common in the soil and moist environments. Most cases are easily treated by topical antifungal medications that are over the counter such as lotrimin (clotrimazole), micatin (miconazole) and lamisil (terbinafine). Generally, oral treatments are not indicated unless: 1. It is extensive or severe, or 2. It resists topical antifungal therapy.

If the feet are very itchy over the soles and heels and painful athlete's foot is less likely and the symptoms may be related to a contact dermatitis (that may respond to topical hydrocortisone) or manifestations of a systemic illness such as a viral exanthem. Topical treatment should help and the symptoms resolve over two to three days. Treat for an additional week after symptoms subside. If their is no response see a medical provider.
James Sandwich