All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

hives medication

My 4 yo daughter has hives and its been 2 days already. We've been giving her benadryl to help with the itching. Should i wake her up at night just to give medicine? She's sleeping but with the ocasional itch
Poster
  • Complaint duration: 2 days
  • Medications: Benadryl

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer
I would not wake her up to give her the medicine unless she is very restless and not sleeping well. Hives are a reaction pattern and are caused by an underlying disorder such as viral infection or allergy. The Benadryl is not meant to be a 'cure' for the hives but will suppress the symptoms until the underlying cause is gone.
James T. Sandwich
There is no reason to wake the child to give Benadryl is she is not experiencing itching.
Powlin Manuel
A Zyrtec generic or brand is an antihistamine which lasts for 24 hours try that but if it gets worse or it is not going away check with your pediatrician she might need prescription medication
Hanna Gebre Medhin
I would not wake her up to give her the medicine unless she is very restless and not sleeping well. Hives are a reaction pattern and are caused by an underlying disorder such as viral infection or allergy. The Benadryl is not meant to be a 'cure' for the hives but will suppress the symptoms until the underlying cause is gone.
James Sandwich
I use the high end dosing of benadryl (diphenhydramine) at 12.5 mg per 22 pounds (10 kg) of body weight. I give it every 6 hours, around the clock, Usually takes 2-3 days for hives to resolve completely and your child may be very sleepy as a side effect. If hives don't resolve in that time, you should probably see the doctor for more aggressive therapy. Also, make sure she is not being re-exposed to whatever she reacted to.
Don't wake a sleeping child. Hopefully the cause of the hives[urticarial] is known, thus the Benadryl will be temporary. If not, avoid artificially colored foods and drinks as a first option. Popsicles are a common cause of Summer hives, as are some fruits.
Alan Semion
I would not wake her up to give medication for hives. Benadryl is needed primarily to treat symptoms and if she is sleeping well she is not itching. Be sure to see her doctor if the hives do not resolve in a few days or if she has any swelling of her face, difficulty swallowing or difficulty breathing.
Lois A. Freisleben-Cook
Let her sleep. The medication only gives relief of itching and redness but is not a cure for the hives. The itchung is not keeping her awake. Benadryl has a relative short time of action.
Lyndon Mansfield
i would leave her resting at night unless she wakes up bothered with a lot of itching

benadryl is given for symptomatic relief
You do not need to wake her up to give her medication if she is comfortable. If the hives persist, take her back to her pediatrician to make sure you have addressed the cause of her hives if it can be determined.