All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Fatigue, weight gain

My TSH went from 1.3 to 2.2 over the course of a year. I know it's still technically within normal, but I have been very tired (despite adequate sleep at night, I find myself napping during the day) and gained 20lbs in last year (diet and exercise hasn't been great though, plus on sertraline). Hypothyroidism runs in the family. Do you think it's possible I am heading that way? I'm also in a very stressful job, someone told me about "adrenal fatigue" caused by chronic stress... Is that possible?
Poster
  • Female | 29 years old
  • Medications: Sertraline, Zyrtec, cabergoline, Seasonique
  • Conditions: Migraines, essential tremor, asthma, nonallergic rhinitis, prolactinoma

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies
Yes, it is possible. Excessive cortisol can blunt the axis.
Fatigue and weight gain are extremely common complaints for which we have a lot of help.

sertraline (Zoloft) sometimes causes weight gain. If the weight gain started after you began Zoloft, you should consider discontinuing that medication.

Regardless of lab values, people naturally develop hypothyroid symptoms as they age.

When you're six years old jumping on the bed your thyroid hormone level was very high, and you were sensitive to it. By the time you were 20 years old your thyroid hormone level had already declined significantly and you were already becoming less sensitive to it...... albeit certainly not desirable, this is normal.

And year-by-year, even though your thyroid hormone levels may remain "normal", you are becoming less and less sensitive to the thyroid.

If you look at the symptoms of aging and the symptoms of hypothyroidism you may notice that there is a lot of similarity because we all become functionally hypothyroid as we age.. Even though our lab values may remain frustratingly "normal".

So when I have a patient come to me with typical hypothyroid symptoms (in spite of normal labs) I will consider a trial of thyroid hormone to see if it helps. Well what do you know? This almost never fails to help.

But good luck trying to find a doctor willing to stick their neck out to do the right thing for you.