All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

budesal respule is safe to baby under 12 months

My daughter is 6 months old and her weight is 7.2 kg. she suffering from cold and cough. Pediatric suggested with 3 days daily nebulization of budesal. as i got info like levalbuterol 1.25mg is above 12 years age and I am worried to see that my baby is taking strong nebulization. kindly answer me should i stop it?
Poster
  • Female | 32 years old
  • Complaint duration: 9 days
  • Medications: syrup azee 200, salvent, amcet and respule budesal nebulization once upto 3 days
  • Conditions: cold cough for a 6 months old baby

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

2 UpVoted this answer
Do not stop the recommendations of your physician. If the diagnosis is bronchiolitis there is much controversy re: standards for treatment. Old school includes therapy similar to asthma. The budesonide/pulmicort respules (controller/maintenance) for your nebulizer is an anti-inflammatory medication that is very low in dose compared with usage as an oral agent (micro-grams vs milligrams). In concert with the levalbuterol (rescue-quick acting)-this combination may give the best chance of improving the deep cough or wheeze that your doctor diagnosed. The short term use will not affect growth or create serious untoward side effects. Speak directly with your doctor if you still feel uncomfortable. As the "new" standard goes-saline nasal spray and patience is the therapy of choice for bronchiolitis.
Michael HT Sia
1 UpVoted this answer
I think it is safe for her to use short-term, but the real question is why was it prescribed. Cough from standard upper respiratory infections or bronchiolitis will not benefit from that medication.

You should discuss that with the prescribing physician.
1 UpVoted this answer
Aerosol is not a precise method of delivering medication, especially to a baby, therefore it is hard to get overdosed taking it as scheduled. However, at 6 months of age it is not very likely your daughter has a condition which would respond to budesal.
Thanks for suggestion
Poster
I think it's important to know whether or not the doctor who suggested to this listened to your baby first! For true wheezes that were heard in the office to improve with albuterol, then I would give standard albuterol 2.5 mg in 5 mL. However I would not call it in over the phone. Budesal probably won't hurt her but it is not well studied in babies and I can't think of what sort of condition she could have that would need it. Nebulizer treatments do not help with the most common causes of a cold going to the chest unless the baby truly has asthma.

The best thing for a cold and a cough is to run a humidifier, to squirt saline spray (such as little noses) up her nose and to use a bulb sucker to suck out the boogers. We don't do this every time she sounds gross or even every time she has a cough - only when she is having difficulty drinking her bottles or sleeping because of the congestion.

Signs that she may be worsening include not making her wet diapers, or if she is really struggling to breathe and putting all her effort into breathing. If she seems to be sucking in her ribs on every breath or can't catch her breath even after having her nose sucked out, you should call her doctor or go to the hospital immediately.
Mary Kathleen W. DiTursi
Currently the recommendation for treatment of infant wheezing (bronchiolitis) is not to use any inhaled steroid or even albuterol nebulizer. If your child simply has a cough and cold that does not qualify to use any inhaled medication in any case. That said, prior to stopping any medication that your doctor has prescribed to your child, you need to have this discussion with him or her to explain to you the need of such medications in an infant.