All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Insulin Resistance, Hashimotos - unable to lose weight

I have been told I have Insulin resistance and Hashimotos. I have been on metformin with no luck. My diet is excellent with regular appointments with my nutritionist. I am also very active. I'm 23 and have been trying to lose weight for 3 years. Endocrinologist and GP's are not giving me any options or taking me seriously. Wanting to know what options I have.

23 - 157cm - 70kg - 28 BMI - wanting to get on top of this before it gets worse!
Poster
  • Medications: nil
  • Conditions: Hashimotos, insulin resistace

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer
Commonly, it is hyperthyroidism (not hypo-) that is associated with impaired glycemic control and increased insulin desideratum. Restoration of the euthyroid state lowers blood glucose levels.

Your case is paradoxical, but not unique. You are describing a hypothyroidism/ diabetes-1 combo (could also be diabetes-2, or both). Currently, there are two explanations of Hashimoto's - diabetes linkage: (1) autoimmune attack on both organs (i.e. aseptic inflammation of pancreatic islets and thyroid), or (2) hypopituitarism.

In the first scenario, you will need an immunomodulation. This can be achieved with special diet or pills: Imuran, Neoral, Indomethacin, and often, even the simplest Motrin can serve as en effective modulator. You need to talk with an immunologist. Also check for the celiac disease.

For the second scenario, treatment must be posed on the pituitary gland (the small gland located at the base of the brain). Anterior pituitary gland seems complicated, but actually it is easy to manage. A discriminatory work is needed with its basophile cells, without touching the acidophile cells that produce prolactin, melanocyte-stimulating hormone and growth hormone stimulator - thus, are not involved in the cycle we need to target.

Basophile cells of the anterior pituitary gland produce adrenocorticotrophic hormone (ACTH), thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), luteinizing hormone (LH), and follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH). If the FSH and LH are stimulated , this automatically stimulates the TSH which may alleviate Hashimoto's hypothyroidism.

Some tips you could follow without seeing a doctor: stop taking oral contraceptives (if you are currently taking some). Avoid stressful events and causes. Take a vacation, travel, get spa services, find a subject to love or be connected with (it can be a person, arts, craft, sport, book, etc). Manage your sleeping habits. Do not smoke. Check for anemia and take iron and folic acid if needed. MRI or CT of brain would not be informative for hypopituitary dysfunction. Nor, checking of the hormones would inform the base if not screened regularly, in specific days of the menstrual function.

Clinical indications for seeing a doctor in Hashimoto's disease are: fatigue without an apparent reason, dry skin, pale and puffy face, constipation, and hoarse voice.

Good luck.
I know exactly what you are going through and is frustrating when the MD's don't.

I took several post-doctorate thyroid courses from the following Doctor - read his book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0985690402?keywords=thyroid%20book&qid=1450276428&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Also switch from Traditional Medicine to Functional Medicine:

http://orangeparkchiropractor.com/functional-medicine/

I am so pleased that I am able to give you the answers you are so desperately seeking!

www.discoverhealth.us
Hashimoto's thyroiditis is very common and chronic, and if thyroid hormone levels may remain within normal range for many years before dropping into hypothyroid or rising into hyperthyroid levels (less commonly). The earlier hallmark of the disease is increased variation in thyroid levels within the normal range. Effects of this variation on weight and well-being are unclear, though some clinicians treat with supplemental thyroid hormone if symptoms are present. Insulin resistance is a more nebulous diagnosis which may denote obesity-related or genetic origins or both, varying widely among individuals.

You might consider testing for celiac disease (2-4% concurrence with Hashimoto's) and having your nutritionist provide you a carbohydrate-restricted diet.
David Huffman