All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

my face

I was shot in the face and yeah it wasn't bad but I had a scar. I went to a volunteer plastic surgeon so he could perform surgery on it to make me look better. he said that he would inject Botox and See what happens. The injections did not work for me. What is the best next option?
Poster
  • Female | 39 years old
  • Complaint duration: 90 days
  • Medications: No
  • Conditions: No

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

3 UpVoted this answer
Without actually seeing your scar or watching your face move it is virtually impossible to venture an opinion on your options. Reconstructive surgery is very individual and usually there is no single best answer to your question. If you are dissatisfied with your present advice, there is nothing wrong with seeking another opinion from an experienced plastic surgeon. I woul start there.
Louis Mes
2 UpVoted this answer Timothy S. Mountcastle, MD Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon, Ashburn
I am really sorry to hear about your injury. There are numerous options for scar revision, depending on whether the scar is widened, depressed, raised or colored. Botox wouldn't really help any scar. Fillers may temporarily help a depressed scar by raising it to be flush with the surrounding skin. A raised scar may respond to steroid or 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) injections. A scar with a poor texture may respond to laser resurfacing or dermabrasion. A darkened or pigmented scar may respond to IPL to lighten the color. Also, your ethnicity matters as very dark skinned patients are not good candidates for laser treatment in general. If all of these things fail, surgical scar revision where the old scar is removed and then the area is sutured back up is a good last resort.

Hope this helps and best of luck.
Garrett R. Griffin
1 UpVoted this answer
Your case is far too complicated and without pictures there is no way to give any advice online except that you should go see a BC plastic surgeon. Good luck!
Stephen Ronan
1 UpVoted this answer
We would need to see exactly what you are taking about, but scars can be surgically revised, if necessary, then we usually apply a fractional laser, called the LUX 1540. This improves the appearance of scars as well as being used for stretch marks and wrinkles.
1 UpVoted this answer
You need to see another plastic surgeon. If you have financial issues, I would recommend seeking a university hospital that has a plastic surgery residency program. Those institutions usually have a resident clinic staffed by plastic surgeons that should be much more affordable and still receive good care.
Brian R. Buinewicz
1 UpVoted this answer
Botox was clearly some sort of attempt to make the scar soften out with relaxing facial motion. Botox is not a way to revise a scar. Scar revision surgery is the most common procedure Plastic Surgeons do throughout the country and one of the only that insurance typically covers. See a board certified Plastic Surgeon....I am sure something can be done
Josh Hyman
1 UpVoted this answer
Thank you for the question, to best answer your question, more detail are needed

- about your goals ,

-the scar itself,

-how long ago?

If you are hoping to make the scar less visible, then you may consider a consult with a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who specializes in facial scarring.
1 UpVoted this answer
I have unfortunately seen many gun shot wounds to the face and other areas of the body. There are many ways to help a scar look less visible. Sometimes letting nature take it's course or tincture of time will allow the scar to mature and be less visible. Can you send me a picture of it so I can get a better feel for the problem that you have. Please let us know how long ago you were shot. I hope your scar improves...
Larry Weinstein
1 UpVoted this answer
Scars can be treated in a number of ways. The best option for scar treatment is dependent on the type of scar you have. Unfortunately, anytime there is an injury to the skin we always heal with some scar formation. The key is to try to minimize the scar, making it as cosmetic as possible. Different options include injection of steroids to the scar, laser therapy to the scars, massaging of the scars, or silicone sheeting placed on the scars. A surgical option would be to excise the scar as a scar revision with the hopes that it will heal better in a non-traumatized setting. Without seeing the scar it is difficult to recommend a particular treatment for you. I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon to get another opinion.
1 UpVoted this answer
Scars on the face can be varied according to color, size, thickness, and supporting structures. See your local medspa doctor to get an evaluation to see if it can be treated without anymore trauma. Laser resurfacing and fillers are easier ways to deal with this misfortune otherwise the doctor will guide you regarding the need for any corrective surgery.