All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Is scar removal a good option?

Hi, a year or 2 ago I got a scar between my eyes. Too much skin was gone for stitches. It healed rather embarrassingly. Its even with the rest of my skin but the texture is different in color and consistency. It goes red if I get too hot or too cold or bend over. It occasionally gets little bumps that causes the whole scar to redden. If I barely touch it, it gets red. I also have to keep aquaphor on it at night to minimize the wrinkles in the scar for the next day. I don't know what to do for it?
Poster
  • Female | 19 years old
  • Complaint duration: 90 days
  • Medications: N/A
  • Conditions: N/A

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies
Scars usually reach full maturation at 2 years. If your incisions are still red you should have a plastic surgeon evaluate your incisions. You may try IPL which should reduce redness. Please make a consultation to get definitive recommendations.
Arian Mowlavi
Mature scars that are raised, widened, thick, or limit movement after about one to two years of healing, would be amenable to a plastic surgery scar revision which could be performed easily through removing the scar tissue, releasing any tethering and then re-arranging the good skin to help improve both the appearance and the function of the scar. After two years, it would be difficult for the scar to improve further, and it should allow for closure of the skin.
In general, a scar such as yours may be improved with scar revision. This generally entails removing a scar with a scalpel and repairing the skin edges. It may be prudent include a picture here or to include dimension of the scar. The difference from a revision and the initial trauma is that the wound can be repaired in layers meticulously, and the edges of the skin can be carefully re approximated. Scar tissue has no sebum or sweat glands. It is simply unstable fibrin and skin components. Skin contains many small sweat and oil glands to help preserve its texture, tone, and moisture. It may be wise to meet with a physician for scar revision.

Good luck!!
I would suggest a face to face consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. Please go towww.plasticsurgery.org to locate a plastic surgeon near you.
Gurmander S. Kohli
Depending on the scar the options range from scar creams, Silicone Sheets, steroid injections, laser treatments as well as surgical options such as excision and closure, skin grafting or flaps to reconstruct the scar. Seek a board certified plastic surgeon that had been trained to deal with these issues.

Good luck
Given the prominent location between the eyes, this may have initially been repaired using a texture and thickness matched skin graft. It is possible to proceed at this point with either a scar excision with Z-plasty closure, or a full thickness skin graft to the area. In either case, it is best to post a picture so that we have some idea of the dimensions of the defect. Ideally, an in-person evaluation by a plastic surgeon trained in reconstructive techniques would be most appropriate.
Mark Anthony Fitzanther Knight
There are a few ways to deal with scars: Injections, lasers, revisions, etc. It sounds like this scar is bothering you so it would be best to see a plastic surgeon for a consultation.
Karol A. Gutowski
If you are interested in scar revision see a plastic surgeon. If are thinking of ablation the CO2 or Erbium fractionated laser may be useful. Discuss your option in detail with you doctor. Your doctor will also determine if there is a vascular component causing the flushing.
Hi, I'd have to see photos of the scar to ascertain it's size, degree of healing and position to make further comments on how it could be improved.

Dr Francis Palmer
Francis R. Palmer
See a board certified plastic surgeon. It will be worth it. There is a chance that this would be partially covered by insurance. There are many things that can be done, the question is if they should be done for you. Not everything is right for everybody.
Tracy E. McCall