All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Adbomnial Pain

I've had 2 pelvic exams which told me nothing was wrong with me and i also had a abdominal ultrasound.My doctor told me nothing was wrong with me but i keep having abdominal pain that wont go away.I started taking birth control pills and i didnt even feel the pain anymore at all.I wonder am i having stomach problems or what .I am very confused?
Poster
  • Female | 23 years old
  • Complaint duration: 90 days
  • Medications: depo
  • Conditions: no

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

My guess is that the pain is from the ovary, but we need more information to pin it down, as well as some bloodworm.
Victor Shabanah
Abdominal pain can have many causes; it may arise from diseases of the intestines, the bladder and kidney, and the pelvic organs. You did not mention if your pain is related to your menses as may the case if you have uterine fibroids or pelvic endometriosis. However since your pain went away while taking birth control pills, I suspect that you may have endometriosis. Unfortunately the only way to truly confirm endometriosis is through the laparoscope which is a surgical procedure. If the birth control pill seems to be helping you, I will recommend that you take it for at least 6 months just to see if it keeps your pain away for that long, then your doctor can reevaluate you. The pill works by blocking ovulation which in turn prevents production of your own estrogen and progesterone which as we know it helps endometriosis to remain in place and grow.
Oluremi T. Ilupeju
Abdominal pain can come from a variety of sources. It can be related to your ovaries and uterus, but also your bowels (intestines). The fact that your pain went away after starting birth control pills may have been a coincidence or it my be related to blocking ovulation and indirectly helping with endometriosis. Although most women who have endometriosis usually have progressive pelvic pain that tends to either start with their period or a few days prior to the start of your period. With regard to where do you go from here I would stay on the birth control pills for at least a few months to see if the pain returns. If it does it is more likely to not be from a gynecologic cause. One last comment, pelvic exams and ultrasounds rarely pick up endometriosis, they are much better at finding larger masses, for example ovarian cysts or tumors or the uterus. Good luck.
Seeing your primary care doctor to evaluate for other sources of abdominal pain would be a good idea. If the pain you have been having is related to your ovulation or menstruation , the birth control pills should help but it may take a few months to see the difference.
Kyle A Baker
A couple of things come to mind. Some women have pain when they ovulate, which is around 2 weeks after menstrual bleeding. That is not normal, but will go away on birth control because you don't ovulate with birth control. In fact, birth control messes up the normal hormone function of the body, and therefore, I NEVER recommend it. There are so many side effects, like weight gain, hair loss, skin pigment changes on the face, depression, low libido, and increased risk of certain cancers. If you go off the pill and the pain comes back in a few months, it's probably ovulation pain. I recommend seeing a Naturopathic doctor or acupuncturist who can actually help you get better instead of covering up your symptoms with birth control pills.
Birth control pills may reduce the pain of the external endometriosis. Your case, however, seems a coincidence.