All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Shop safety during pregnancy

I own a wood working shop where I do wood burning, sanding, and restoration among other things. Are there any activities or tools that I should avoid if I get pregnant?
Poster
  • Female | 22 years old
  • Ethnicity: Caucasian / White
  • Height: 64
  • Weight: 140lbs
  • Medications: Bromocriptine
  • Conditions: Prolactinoma
  • Hospitalizations: Surgery to remove ectopic pregnancy and left fallopian tube

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer
WOOD BURNING: The components of wood smoke and cigarette smoke are quite similar. Wood smoke contains carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, sulfur dioxide and various irritant gases such as nitrogen oxides that can scar the lungs, also polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and dioxin (both, carcinogens).

WOOD DUST: Breathing of the wood sand may cause allergic and non-allergic respiratory ailments.

RESTORATION: This requires exposure to certain oils, toxic solvents and adhesives that can be hazardous.

VIBRATION and NOISE are two known hazards to the pregnancy.

STANCE and POSE: Woodworking requires certain stance and position. Being in the same position for hours can be hazardous to the pregnancy.

KNOWING YOUR RIGHTS & THEIR LIMITATIONS:

The duration and coverage of pregnancy leave and maternity leave vary from country to country. In Canada and some European countries, for example, depending on the length of employment and credits, pregnant employees have the right to take pregnancy leave of up to 17 weeks of unpaid time off work. Mothers who took pregnancy leave (high-risk pregnancy) are entitled to up to 35 weeks' leave. Mothers who do not take pregnancy leave and all other new parents are entitled to up to 37 weeks' parental leave. The U. K. guarantees 52 weeks of paid leave for mothers.

The U.S. is the only developed country that doesn’t guarantee paid maternity or parental leave to the workforce. And, there are no laws regarding the paid pregnancy leave. The U.S. law concerned, is called Paid Family Leave (PFL) which does not cover the 1st and 2nd trimesters. First signed in California this law too, varies from state to state. The principle is that if you contribute to the State Disability Insurance (SDI) fund, you are eligible to receive income replacement through two state-run insurance programs: SDI and PFL.

Since 2014, all 185 countries and territories governed by the International Labor Organization except of two (the United States and Papua New Guinea) have laws mandating leave. Laws in the U.S vary in respects to the funding source: whether the leave is paid by the employer or through social security.

If you are a US citizen of PR, and if you run your own business (you're your own boss), you will probably inquire a paid-pregnancy-leave from the OSHA or SSA. I am not aware of statutes concerned , nor I know where you reside. I guess, that it should be done through the commonlaw (court order).

Stay safe and remember: fetal rights are human rights.
1 UpVoted this answer
In general should be ok. Wear mask when sanding to prevent inhalation of dust etc. When working with stripping agents, stains, sealants, make sure to wear gloves and work in a well ventilated space to avoid excessive inhalation of fumes. Aside from that, standard shop safety precautions.
Patrick Ramsey
It would be best to avoid

exposure to that type of

smoke and dust.