All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

pregnancy with an unknown mass

I have attached the ultrasound of my 20-week pregnancy. This is my third pregnancy. I had two miscarriages before. The doctor told that there is a mass that looks like a fibroid (?). I also spot until now. Received progesterone therapy in the first trimester for the threatening miscarriage. I also have anemia.I how the picture to another doctor and he was not sure and said" looks like a fibroid." Please, I need the third opinion.
Poster
  • Female | 29 years old
  • Complaint duration: 86 days
  • Medications: antibiotics
  • Conditions: traumatic childbirth, heavy periods

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

2 UpVoted this answer Peter Guirguis, MD, FACOG OB/GYN, Staten Island
Due to its complex cystic pattern with a typical ‘snowstorm’ appearance, the mass to the left - that coexists with pregnancy - looks more like a COMPLETE HYDATIDIFORM MOLE rather than a rhabdomyoma, leiomyoma, or fibromyoma. Your history (miscarriages) also supports it.

Fibroid is a possibility, however spotting without pain is typical for the molar mass. Your diagnosis must be finalized ASAP for a proper treatment plan. You must be checked for the serum β-human chorionic gonadotrophin (HCG) and alpha fetoprotetin (AFP). The AFP may be elevated in both conditions (fibroid, hydatidirform mole), however, the HCG will be elevated only if it is a mole and will be significantly greater for the gestation age (much much greater).

You will also need to take a chest x-ray and abdominal MRI. The fetus needs to be measured sonographically every 2-3 weeks. Currently, the fetal size is proportional and the placenta looks intact.

The mole will grow during the pregnancy, but not all myomas grow during the pregnancy. The growth differences detected during each ultrasound in the cohort will also help differentiate.

I must be honest with you: this is a very high risk pregnancy and shall not be monitored/managed through routine antenatal visits only. Your ultimate delivery method would be via cesarean section.
My concern is that you've had 2 miscarriages. That is NOT normal and indicates something, possibly hormonal imbalance. The most common homeopathic remedy I use for women who have had miscarriages is SEPIA, which you can get from 1800homeopathy.com. This remedy also helps women who have too much testosterone, and have acne and hair where they don't want it, and bad menstrual cramps. Another possibility is gluten sensitivity. I tend to see this in women who have a high hairline on their forehead.

For anemia, if you are recommended iron, go to GNC and buy non-constipating iron. I don't know why medical doctors recommend one that causes constipation. Also, take 1 TBSP molasses for iron and B vitamins and Calcium. Cook your meals on a cast-iron frying pan, available at camping stores. Eat food to support pregnancy, like fruits and veggies.
It may be a sub mucous fibroid but I would need to see other images and correlate to previous scans. I wish you all the best with the current pregnancy.
it doesn't have the typical appearance of a fibroid

was the fetal anatomy normal-did the baby have a good heartbeat, etc.

would need to see more images to be sure what this thing is

by the way, progesterone is useless to prevent a miscarriage-statistically your pregnancy. This time was going to be successful. Anyway
Michael Birnbaum
If you are referring to the mass in the upper left inside the uterus then I would agree most likely a fibroid. Which because of its character hanging on a stalk called a pedunculated fibroid could have caused miscarriages in the past. Fortunately it will unlikely do the same now that you made it this far. Although it should be monitored for growth and if it affects fetal growth.
Nancy E. Bass
It could be a fibroid and

explains the spotting.

Would not cause any

issues usually.
The image is not clear. Possibly a small fibroid in the wall of the uterus. Unlikely to be any problem.