All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Painful intercourse

Sexual intercourse between my fiancé and me has been painful. My OBGYN said everything appears normal. I was raped from 6-7 years old and when it hurts (and it does about 80% of the time) I have PTSD flashbacks and I start to freak out. I know that painful intercourse is not normal, but I don't know what is wrong. He has been my only sex partner. It is a sharp stabbing like pain, and I don't feel like it is psychological. He is very understanding, but I feel embarrassed and guilty.
Poster
  • Female | 24 years old
  • Complaint duration: 90 days
  • Medications: Wellbutrin
  • Conditions: PTSD, ADD

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer Peter Guirguis, MD, FACOG OB/GYN, Staten Island
Dypareunia is a complex condition and can be psychological, hormonal, and organic. It seems you have more than one factor involved. You need to distinguish yourself whether you suffer an entry pain, deep pain, or post-sex pain.

Entry pain can be associated with insufficient lubrication, injury, trauma, inflammation, skin disorder (eczema, for example), vaginismum (involuntary spasms of the muscles of the vaginal wall), perineal lacerations

Deep pain commonly occurs due to medical conditions (external or internal endometriosis, cervical erosion, pelvic inflammatory disease, uro-genital infection, uterine prolapse, retroverted uterus, uterine fibroids, cystitis, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ovarian cysts) and postsurgical complications (bad scarring from pelvic surgery, or unskillful repair of the vaginal rupture or prolapse).

Postsex pain can be related to endometriosis (external - in the Douglas pouch), cervical erosion, vaginosis, vaginitis, uterine myoma, uterine scar after the c-section, and PID.

Psychological factors (with or without history of rape or abuse) are based on both flashbacks (mental, cortical) and body memory (neural, subcortical).

According to the complex causality, both psychological counseling and thorough gynecological exam are required.