All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Enlarged Uterus

I'm 41... Went to my doctor complaining of heavy bleeding during periods, painful cramps that shoot down into my thighs. My doctor sent me for an internal sonogram and told me my uterus is enlarged. But no reason for why it's enlarged. Should I get a second opinion ?
Poster
  • Female | 41 years old
  • Complaint duration: 90 days
  • Medications: None

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies
Abnormal or heavy bleeding is usually caused by either structural or hormonal/endocrine abnormalities and a full workup is usually best to determine what the cause or causes of the bleeding are. Given that you have an enlarged uterus, structural causes will definitely play a role here for you.

The most likely reason that you have an enlarged uterus and bleeding is fibroids (benign muscular growths within the uterus) although adenomyosis (a variant of endometriosis that affects the uterus) and malignancy are possible also (but less likely).

You don't necessarily need a second opinion but rather an explanation and a discussion as to treatment options which can vary depending on the cause.
Peter Guirguis
The reason is either fibroid

enlargement or adenomyosis.

The bleeding can be easily

treated and you can have

relief soon, either with this

or a different doctor.
It could be uterine fibromyoma. The treatment plan (surgical, non surgical) depends on the size , type (submucous, subserous, intramural), and location (fundus, corpus, isthmus, cervix) of fibromoyoma, severity of the bleeding and pain syndrome, and parity (number of pregnancies in lifetime). There are also other histological types of myoma (leiomyoma, rhabdomyoma) depending on the muscle/fibrous ratio of the benign mass. If the doctor has not discussed a treatment plan with you then yes, the second observation is required.