All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Pain meds and pregnancy

I just found out im 11 weeks pregnant today and i took (2) oxycodone hcl 10mg (one pill 24 hours apart) for my abscess in my tooth that caused me severe pain i haven't taken any more but what severity of harm did i cause my baby i am really scared and nervous. Will my baby be ok?
Poster
  • Female | 27 years old
  • Medications: Oxycodone hcl 10mg

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies
This small amount for a short period should have no long term consequences. Don't worry about it.
Peter Guirguis
In general use of narcotics is discouraged in pregnancy but short term use is extremely unlikely to have any adverse effect on the developing fetus. Frequent or habitual use of narcotics during pregnancy can cause neonatal abstinence syndrome . You should talk to your obstetrician about this and let him/her know if it is a problem.
Kyle A Baker
Opioid analgesics (like oxycodone) cross the placental barrier and must be used only when there is no safer alternative. Development of the maternal blood supply to the placenta is complete by the 12–13 weeks. Hence, there is almost no chance that the drug has passed to the 11-week fetus (the definition of fetus starts from the week 12). Yes, in the 11-week old fetus the neurons multiply and the brain is producing more than 250,000 nerve cells a minute. And yes, the whole body of the 11-week fetus is sensitive to touch, except of the tongue. However, the chance that the fetus was affected with the drug it too tiny. Further, one cannot measure the impact, or detect it at this stage. Please relax, and take a good care of your baby. Around the 23rd week of pregnancy, check for the alpha-fetoprotein. I agree with my colleagues that your dental abscess is more threat to the fetus than a one-dose of the opioid. The abscess must be drained and properly treated.
Oxycodone can be taken in pregnancy. No worries. Treat the tooth abscess properly and complete your antibiotics.
Do not worry.

This is OK.