All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Skull shape

Hi Doctor, my name is Damir, I'm 17 years old teenager From Brooklyn New York. I don't know why but the back of my head is completely flat, and that's disturbs me a lot because it makes my head looks small and ugly. I would like to find out what caused that to happen, and if there are any ways i can fix it?
Poster
  • Male | 18 years old
  • Complaint duration: 90 days

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

4 UpVoted this answer
the shape of the scalp is determined, in part, by inracranial volume, growth, and sutures within the scalp.

These scalp sutures stay open during early early childhood growth. This allows the scalp (cranial vault) to expand and to form a normal shape. If one or several of these sutures fuse prematurely, a skull with an abnormal shape may result.

This is determined, in part, by genetic influences. In early childhood, the skull is also shaped by child positioning.

At 17, head shape cannot be altered without surgery. I hope this helps
2 UpVoted this answer
Consider a consult with a Cranio- Facial sugeon if you want to change this. You were probably lying on your back for long periods of time as a baby. At your age there is no way to change it without the help of a surgeon.
1 UpVoted this answer
Skull formation and deformation can occur early in life and can usually be corrected if necessary with the first 2 years. Flattening of the back of skull or plagiocephaly can be secondary to head position and skull bone fusion as a baby. Typically the flattening can be molded with a helmet if necessary, but at the age of 17 it is too late to have an easy impact on skull shape.
1 UpVoted this answer
Damir: The shape of your skull, is the result of being on your back when you were an infant, before the "sutures" of the bones closed..There are multiple cosmetic avenues to pursue, if you are really interested. Please consult with a plastic surgeon that performs Cranio-Facial surgery...
Csaba L. Magassy
1 UpVoted this answer
This deformity seems to be related to early fusion of skull sutures. In some instances this deformity is genetically related but it can also be due to positioning of the baby in crib. Early re-shaping can be done in babies by means of helmet therapy or early surgery. However, at your age surgical correction is the only option.

You should consult a craniofacial plastic surgeon (usually associated with university center) about your options. Good luck.
Zoran Potparic
1 UpVoted this answer
Dear Damir:

This is an interesting question as it further enlightens the quest and curiosity for today's generation to understand their unique physical attributes.

Just like other bones in the body, the skull has "joints" which allow it to expand and shape according to the changes in your personal growth. If the "joint" called a "suture" fuses too early or there is pressure from the inside or an outside force such as sleeping directly on the back of your head, the skull will take the shape of all these dynamics.

As mentioned below, there are cranial surgical options but they are not without considerable concerns and risks. Consult with a Board Certified Cranio-Facial Surgeon. Certainly, there may be innovative surgical ( for example, expander and implant or serial fat grafting) and non-surgical (acceptance, hair or hat cover) and minimally invasive ( filler injectibles) options to discuss with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Good luck on your journey!
1 UpVoted this answer
Hi Damir: This could have resulted from spending too much time on your back as an infant, or could just be the way your skull is shaped based on inheritance/genetics. It is interesting to see such a wide range of answers from the doctors here. While you could have skull reshaping surgery, that is mostly done in children and would be quite lengthy in adults, with significant risk and blood loss. A tissue expander, as described by another surgeon, is not permanent so even if you expand the skin with a tissue expander, you still need to put something in there to take up space. Once option not mentioned yet is a custom implant. You can get a CT scan and an implant can be made from silicone or medpor to fit onto your skull and give it a more rounded shape. This would require surgery too, but it would be pretty safe. The risk of any permanent implant is infection and rejection by your body. Best of luck!
Garrett R. Griffin
You have positional plagiocephaly possibly from prolonged laying on your back during infancy. You skull is fully formed at this point and you would need a complex operation with a craniofacial plastic surgeon and a neurosurgeon. The surgery involves removing the skull bone off of the brain, reforming the skull with cuts and plating, and placing it back on the brain. The incision would be over the scalp from ear to ear and heal nicely within the hair.
There are multiple cause as has been explained below. Most people seem to indicate that the flattening is due to position - which in the vast majority of cases is true. However, you don't describe what the front of your skull looks like - is your eyebrow flat on the same side where your skull is flat, is your eyebrow flat on the opposite side? Are your ears symmetrical (look the same)? Do you feel that your skull and face is long from top to bottom? Is this just happen or have you had this since birth? Multiple questions with multiple answers. If you are concerned, you might want to contact a craniofacial team that does skull remodeling. I can't promise you that anything can be done, but you can rest assured you will have answers that you don't currently have. I have been performing this type of surgery for over 25 years at SUNY Stony Brook. Best of luck.
Elliot B. Duboys
Dear Damir,

From what you describe, you might have whats called a lamblodi suture synostosis resulting in a flat skull. It ususally is not a medical problem at shi age resulting in a functional problem. But it rather creates a cosmetic deofrmity just as you described it.

There are sugical options for this problem.

I would recommend for you to see a craniofacial surgeon and get evaluated. You will need a physical examination and possibly a CT scan.

I wish you the best of luck.