All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Cramping after unprotected sex

I have been on birth control for three years now and have been taking it consistently and correctly. I have found that after having unprotected sex and my partner ejaculates inside, I have cramping the next day. I have now had cramping for five days and was wondering if this is normal. I was at the end of my pack when the sexual intercourse took place and went right to my next pack. I shouldn't be pregnant, right?
Poster
  • Female | 21 years old
  • Complaint duration: 5 days
  • Medications: Junel 1/20

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

43 UpVoted this answer
Pregnancy is unlikely but checking with a home urine pregnancy test wouldn't hurt and may be reassuring. The cramping could be due to an ovarian cyst which may be tender whether it has ruptured or not, but ovarian cysts that rupture may cause pain. Semen contains prostaglandins which can cause some cramping, and the other possibility is that if you did not acheive orgasm you may be developing what is known as pelvic congestion, where the pelvic veins become dilated and inflammed. This is a tricky thing to diagnose. Making sure that you acheive orgasm by whatever means may help to prevent the cramping.
Kyle A Baker
14 UpVoted this answer
No you shouldn't be pregnant. The cramping doesn't have to do with pregnancy, but tells me that there may be some hormonal imbalance (not surprising, since you are on birth control). To help your body be healthier I recommend the homeopathic remedy Apis, which you can find at the health food store in a little blue tube, or at 1800homeopathy.com. It is the most common natural medicine for cramping after sex and can help balance your hormones. Try taking it a every day and see how you feel next time. The dose is 3 pellets.

As always, I recommend a birth control that doesn't disrupt your hormones or cause increase in certain cancers or cause weight gain or thyroid problems or hair loss. Ask your doctor about the copper ring, Paragaurd, which doesn't have these side effects, which your doctor should have reviewed are possible with oral birth control.
11 UpVoted this answer
You and your partner must be checked for the STIs as it seems you have uro-genital infection. In addition, you must be checked for the cervical erosion or ectropion (via Colposcopy) , and for the uterine fibroids (via sonogaphy).

p.s. I am not sure you posted your right age...
10 UpVoted this answer
The likelihood of pregnancy is small but nothing is 100%, therefore get a pregnancy test, a home test is fine. You should have the problem of cramping checked as this may be a urinary tract infection or vaginal infection as the cause.
8 UpVoted this answer
No you shouldn't be pregnant. Cramping after intercourse isn't a sign of pregnancy. It is difficult to say what is causing the cramping. Since you had unprotected sex there is a chance you have an STD like chlamydia or gonorrhea. You may want to make an appointment with an ObGyn to get checked out.
Nancy E. Bass
6 UpVoted this answer
Best to do a pregnancy test

and to be checked to find

out the reason for cramping.