All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Can an emergency cesarean cause infertility?

I had an emergency cesarean with my son in August of 2012 at 36 weeks of gestation. I had 26 hours of labor and 2 and 1/2 hours of pushing till we had to do the emergency surgery. Once they opened me up they realized that he was wrapped in his cord and the placentia had separated from my uterus which caused extensive bleeding.

The doctor told me everything was fine, but I have been trying to get pregnant on and off since 10/2013 with no success. My cycles are regular and my periods normal.
Poster
  • Female | 34 years old
  • Complaint duration: 90 days
  • Medications: none
  • Conditions: none

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer Karen Salazar Valdes, MD OB/GYN, Miami
A C/Section as well as any pelvic surgery can cause scarring, adhesions, disruptions and further evaluation is necessary. This should include pelvic examination, ultrasound and baseline laboratory testing. Your partner should have semen analysis and, if normal, you should have an evaluation of your uterus and fallopian tubes with a hysterosalpingogram. Further testing and treatment will depend on the results of this testing.
I think it is unlikely that an emergency c-section would cause infertility. I would recommend however that you have a hysterosalpingogram (HSG) to see if there is any blockage of your Fallopian tubes, because any prior pelvic/abdominal surgery is a risk factor for tubal disease. In addition at age 34 your fertility is on the decline, and you may not be ovulating with every cycle. You should speak with your OB about checking a "midluteal phase" progesterone level (he/she will know what that is) to see if you are ovulating. Good luck.
Since your periods are regular and otherwise normal it's unlikely that the experience you had with your last delivery has anything to do with your current infertility. There are many causes of infertility and you've been trying long enough that you should be evaluated by a physician familiar with the causes of infertility.
Ben Gocial
A thorough work-up

will reveal the reason,

so it can be resolved,

to achieve pregnancy.