All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Can this scar be improved? What would you recommend?

I had a scar removed over a year ago and unfortunately I am not happy with the result. In some pictures the incision line can look slim but in others it shows depression and raised bits contour problems which can't be covered by makeup. People stare at me all the time on the street and everywhere I go. It is unfortunately affecting my relationship, my work, it's affecting my whole life to be honest. It appears I can only attach one photo. Any recommendations/opinions would be really appreciated
Poster
  • Complaint duration: 365 days

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

3 UpVoted this answer Mark A. Eberbach, MD Plastic Surgeon, Hudson Jason Hess, MD, FACS Plastic Surgery, San Diego Gurmander S. Kohli, MD, FACS Plastic Surgeon, Newburyport
Your expectations are not realistic. As cruel as it might sound - you said it best: "I had a scar removed." Unfortunately scars are permanent and removal is not possible. What one can hope for is to create a scar that is "inconspicuous" at normal conversational distance. The scar that you have goes against all relaxed skin tension lines - that is to say, your smile lines are perpendicular to the direction of the scar. In addition, this is the location of the modiolus, a point on your face where many different muscles come together. I certainly agree that fillers might be a way to go, however this temporary, and at best might last 7-9 months. The photograph you took shows the scar, worse than it would typically appear in direct light because of shadowing.

How long is is since you had your scar revision? There are several surgical ways to improve the contour, and perhaps change the direction of the scar. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon would seem appropriate so either he or she might be able to discuss your surgical (or non surgical) options. Best of luck.
Elliot B. Duboys
2 UpVoted this answer
I think these scars are noticeable and can be improved by a combination of surgical and other treatment modalities. So long as your expectations are realistic about the degree of improvement achievable you can be happy girl with a more a beautiful face. I have studied all the answers you have received so far most of them are very well meant and express valid treatment modalities. There is one that I particularly do not think is kind which tells you basically girl get real and get on with your life. I am sure the physician responding did have any ill feeling but to me it sounded like an unkind remark. You expected a suggestion.
Gurmander S. Kohli
2 UpVoted this answer Gurmander S. Kohli, MD, FACS Plastic Surgeon, Newburyport Timothy S. Mountcastle, MD Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon, Ashburn
As all the other respondents to your enquiry have told you: "as scar is a scar is a scar".

There is an unfortunate misconception among the non-medical community, that Plastic Surgeons can remove scars. This often leads to unrealistic expectations and disappointment. I don't mean to be unkind, but this is reality. As scars go, you do not have bad blemishes but I realize that saying that is "cold comfort".

Having given you all the bad news, take heart and go to a well trained surgeon or dermatologist for help with contour and color issues because at least that side of the problem can usually be mitigated even if the basic scar can not.

Try not to be so hard on yourself because the more self-conscious you are about your scars, the more others will notice and criticize them.
Louis Mes
2 UpVoted this answer Jason Hess, MD, FACS Plastic Surgery, San Diego Gurmander S. Kohli, MD, FACS Plastic Surgeon, Newburyport
I completely understand and sympathize with your concerns. As the below responses suggest, there are a number of treatments which can be applied for further improvement of some of the more obvious aspects of the scar, namely the discoloration, indentation, and texture irregularity. The most important, daily part of the routine, should be sun avoidance. I like a product called Biocorneum which can also work on mature scars. Addtionally, bleaching creams can also help depigment. Lycogel, a topical tinted zinc oxide, can also help conceal and prevents sun exposure. Other more advance techniques, short of surgical intervention, include PRP, laser resurfacing/microdermabrasion, and filler.

Information is power, I hope that helps.
1 UpVoted this answer
Scar therapy after surgery is important and scar appearance changes over a one to two year period. Scar therapy starts with proper placement and closure of the incision. Traumatic wounds do not abide to cosmetic lines so scars against the natural skin lines could be converted to a different orientation with a scar revision or plastic surgery of the scar. Massage and silicone can help flatten scars. Fillers can help depressed scars.
1 UpVoted this answer
Scars are noticeable for one or all of the following three consitions:

Colour

Contour

Configuration

Easy to imagine how a scar would be noticeable if it were a different colour than the surrounding skin fo example if the scar was darker, lighter or somehow pigmented with ingrained dirt from the time of injury.

These scars lend them to easy correction as one can carefully cut out the discolored area and perform a repair meticulously.

The scars that are raised or indented are noticeable because of their contour as this also csues a light and shadow effect.

The configuration of the scars is the direction the scar runs in. For example if a scar ran parallel to the eye brow it will be less noticeable than a scar that was half its length but ran vertically down the eyebrow.

Here I have given simple examples to understand the three condition which could increase the disfigurement or the noticeability of the scars. In some scars all three C's play a part to varying extents. Judging from the photograph that you have presented it seems that your scar is noticeable for contour and configuration reasons and could be made less noticeable by a very carefully planned excision and revision and perhaps even including a small Z-plasty in the middle of the one that runs along or within a part of the melo-labial fold and also small Z-plasties at the lower end and middle of the scar that on the cheek with its lower end across from the left corner of the mouth. I doubt very much if one can eliminate the scars entirely but one can certainly improve their appearance by reducing their noticeabilty. Perhaps easy to say and but difficult to do. I think that you could be 50% or more happy with the results after such a revision. I cannot see the ntire face but it appears that you are a beautiful girl and you are more of these scars than others. So don't be so hard on yourself. I wished I practiced geographically close to the area you live in and I would have, with some trepidation, accepted the challenge of working on the two scars.

There are separate scars ..rights?
Gurmander S. Kohli
1 UpVoted this answer Gurmander S. Kohli, MD, FACS Plastic Surgeon, Newburyport
Scars can be improved using texture procedures or fillers. Dermabrasion and microneedling help the textue. Fillers such as hyaluronic products can fill depressions. Color such as red can be treated with IPL light. Several touch up procedures can be done with local anethesia.
Theodore Staahl
1 UpVoted this answer Gurmander S. Kohli, MD, FACS Plastic Surgeon, Newburyport
Scars are permanent. When a patient would like a scar revised, we always let them know that there will still be a scar, we just aim to make it thinner and less noticeable. From this photo, it looks like the indentations are most noticeable. I would recommend first trying a filler to even out the indentation before having the scar surgically revised. Also be sure to use an SPF at all times, sun exposure will only worsen the scar.
1 UpVoted this answer
What makes scars noticeable are color differences relative to the surrounding skin, scars that are thick or wide, and contour irregularities at the scar itself. Fortunately for you, the first two don't really apply. It is the contour irregularities that cast and catch shadows that make this scar apparent. The simplest treatment would be to use a dermal filler to smooth out the contours. Unfortunately this is a temporary solution 6-8 months. More long term is local fat grafting but more expensive. Similar in cost would be a scar revision, perhaps with an alteration in the orientation of the scar more towards the lines of relaxation of the skin followed by conscientious use of a silicone gel on the scar to minimize its appearance. I doubt that laser treatments nor needling would make a significant improvement.

Finally, this scar, although bothersome to you, should not really pose any social issue for you. It is a relatively minor flaw (like the ones we all have) and should surely be overshadowed by the quality of your personality and the depth of your character.

For the best results seek the consultation of a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. They have a website listing all the certified plastic surgeons. Members of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery will all be board certified in plastic surgery and have demonstrated an interest and special skill in cosmetic plastic surgery as well.
Scars can be treated by the following means

1)Intense Pulse Light therapy for redness

2)steroid injection if it is raised

3)scar revision (cut out and restitch) if it is atrophic (i.e.stretched out)
Arian Mowlavi