All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Trying to lactate...

How can I lactate without taking any medication or getting pregnant? Yes, I want to lactate. I've tried breast massaging but I'm not sure if that works.
Poster
  • 20 years old
  • Medications: Zovia and Sertraline
  • Conditions: no

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

1 UpVoted this answer Shawn Leatherman, BA, BS, DC Chiropractor, Mary Esther
Yes, you can absulutely do this. There is a product called a Supplemental Nursing System. Lots of new moms use this to get more flow, but it was actually developed for adoptive moms. You fill it with formula (preferable goat's milk with fish oil, chlorophyll, and b vitamins and probiotics) NOT corn syrup formula, and the baby sucking on your nipple will stimulate your body to lactate. You can also support that with herbs like tea you find in the grocery store called Mother's Milk. I also recommend a product called Mother's Lactaflow taken 1tsp 3x daily. I can help you make a healthy formula until your milk comes in via teleconsult.
1 UpVoted this answer Shawn Leatherman, BA, BS, DC Chiropractor, Mary Esther
Prolactin and oxytocin are the main hormones regulating lactation in the humans. Psychological and tactile factors too, have a huge influence. As such, exclusive breastfeeding is the method to maintain and sustain the lactation. The skin-to-skin contact with the newborn during the first hour after delivery increases the median duration of breast feeding. Start from exclusive breastfeeding, at least for six months, i.e. give your baby no other food or drink (not even water) except breast milk. Breastfeed him (her) per his (her) demand, but make sure that the interval is no longer than 2 hours during the first six months. I would only suggest natural stimulants of breastfeeding: (1) nutritious and ample food and liquids for the nursing mother, (2) root beer, (3), yeast dough bakery; and (4) maintaining mental hygiene (avoiding stresses and negative emotions). Make sure your baby takes the nipple correctly - together with the entire areola (his/her nose deep into your breast). S/he still will have ample air to breathe, even if it seems to you that his/her nose is blocked by your breast. Technically correct breastfeeding will prevent nipple cracks, breast engorgement, and mastitis. If however, things do not work well and you choose to feed you child with formula, my advice is to use ONLY ecologically clean glass bottles, as the plastic or semi-plastic bottles contain synthetic estrogens (Bisphenols) that increase the risk of obesity, diabetes, breast and endometrial cancer in girls, and increases the risk of gynecomastia and different sexuality choices in boys. I wish you an elating journey in such a magical time with your treasure baby. Accept my congratulations!
Not a healthy practice unless you have just delivered.
Norm Dahm
unless you have just delivered
Norm Dahm
This is not a healthy practice in my opinion.
Norm Dahm
Dear Lactate,

Since you have not relayed why you want to lactate, I have to assume it is to breastfeed and this raises some key issues. While you have some great advice here already, nobody has addressed the medication you are currently utilizing.

First and foremost, the hormones in Zovia can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. This medication may also slow breast milk production which is counterproductive to your goal. Zovia utilization is NOT ADVISED if you are breast feeding a baby.

http://std.emedtv.com/zovia/zovia-and-breastfeeding.html

Second, Sertraline can also affect your ability to lactate and can contribute to slower milk production. While this drug is considered one of the most safe SSRI drugs to utilize in pregnancy and lactation, small amounts will still pass into the milk and into the baby if you are nursing.

http://www.drugs.com/breastfeeding/sertraline.html

You should directly discuss this information with the doctor who prescribed these medications so that you can formulate a proper plan to accomplish your health goals as well as your lactation goals. Lastly, there are specific professionals who go through rigorous education juts to help women with lactation and breastfeeding. They are called lactation consultants and frequently work in the hospitals, in OB/GYN clinics, and sometimes with pediatricians. The credential you want to research and look for in your community is IBCLC (Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant). You can simply search online to find one in your community.

http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3432

Hope this helps, and best of luck to you.
Lactation is natural following delivery.

It can also happen with Pituitary

tumors called Prolactinoma.

If you want to lactate without

medication or getting pregnant

your physician will counsel.
Curious, Why do you want to lactate? Doesn't fit your biological need and therefore forcing your body to do so may have unwanted adverse reactions.

https://www.discoverhealth.us

https://www.youtube.com/user/discoverhealth