All paid DoctorBase customers will be migrated to Kareo Marketing on December 15, 2016. Read how to get your practice ready for the transition.

4 Reasons Why Ask DoctorBase is the Most Efficient Way to SEO and Establish Your Brand Online

1. Ask DoctorBase is a free service for patients on the DoctorBase platform - currently servicing over 6 million American patients of record.
  2. All answers submitted by healthcare professionals (you) are for entertainment purposes only and do not constitute doctor-patient relationships. All patients must agree to this before using Ask DoctorBase.
  3. Our software and our Marketing Engineering staff review each answer and optimize your answers for keywords valuable to your specialty. It is a well kept secret that doctors (you) - not SEO consultants - are the ones who have the most valuable content prized by search engines. Ask DoctorBase "unlocks and optimizes" your content in the most efficient manner possible with today's technology.
  4. Finally, the doctor who provides the most popular answer - "the Featured Answer," gets an added benefit by allowing patients to write rave reviews about your expertise - reviews that are submitted to both Google and Google Local through our Preferred Data Provider relationship.

Ask Dr. Molly if you have questions or want a personal session on how to best use Ask DoctorBase for maximum marketing impact.

Molly Maloof, MD

Director of Clinical Content
@DoctorBase

Can I take a Claritan D with the 600 mg if ibuprofen I'm taking?

Can I take a Claritan D with the 600 mg if ibuprofen I'm taking? Had surgery last Monday, The coughing and drainage are causing more pain.
Poster
  • Female | 49 years old
  • Complaint duration: 3 days
  • Ethnicity: Caucasian / White
  • Height: 64
  • Weight: 175lbs
  • Medications: Ibuprofen 600 mg and Synthroid 125mcg
  • Conditions: Damaged knee, waiting for knee replacement.

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Find low drug prices at local & online pharmacies

Featured Answer

6 UpVoted this answer
In general you should be able to safely take Claritan D and Ibuprofen together however you should always check with your Surgeon first. For example Ibuprofen can cause excessive bruising or bleeding if taken before or just after surgery.
5 UpVoted this answer
The two can be taken together, but I would check with your doctor first. They will be able to recommend a course of action for your post surgery symptoms, verify your current prescriptions and if there is any risk of drug interaction.
John A. Ness
5 UpVoted this answer
Usually it is fine to take together. Speak with your doctor to find out if you should be avoiding ibuprofen after your surgery due to the increased bruising and bleeding associated with it. Speak with your primary doctor to find out if the Claritin D is the best answer since it is an allergy drug that helps with drainage not a drug for coughing.
2 UpVoted this answer
You should be able to take both Claritin D and ibuprofen during the same time periods however depending on what your surgery involved, and when you had it, your surgeon may want you to be careful about how much ibuprofen you are using. I would encourage you to call your surgeon's office to see what they would recommend for your particular situation.
1 UpVoted this answer
Ibuprofen is generally appropriate after any surgical procedure and can usually be started about 8 to 24 hours after the procedure. Claritin D does have pseudo-ephedrine and may cause a transient increase in blood pressure, however if it helps with coughing it may be appropriate after cosmetic plastic surgery.
1 UpVoted this answer
Yes you can take those two together. Chances are your surgeon will be ok with you taking it since you are cleared to take ibuprofen, but because the "decongestant" portion can lead to bruising, I'd check with your surgeon to be 100% sure.
Dana M. Goldberg
1 UpVoted this answer
In general, it would be OK. However, it depends on what other medications you're taking & any other medical problems you might have. When in doubt, it's always a good idea to check with your primary care physician or the surgeon'a office who performed your procedure. Hope this helps and wishing you a speedy recovery!
1 UpVoted this answer
Please consult your surgeon for any medical advice during the recovery period.
Edward M. Zimmerman
Claritin D is a combination of an anti histamine and pseudoephedrine which can be taken with ibuprofen. The pseudoephedrine can cause transient elevation in blood pressure and should be used with caution in those with pre-existing hypertension.
yes, you can take both together. They are different classes of medications and don't have significant overlap.Take Claritin D in the morning because the D component can cause you to be very alert and can keep you up at night.
Gilad Segev